Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Little Steps  (Read 111 times)

Offline grungedingo

• Robbie the Rabbit
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Better to burn out than fade away
    • Poke This Member
Little Steps
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:14:26 AM »
I haven't left my house in two months, today That is going to change today. I am going to go for a walk. I have been waiting for my anxiety and depersonalization to heal themselves when in reality I have just been letting them rule my life. It's going to be a big step for me. Does anyone have any advice on conquering or lessening the anxiety of leaving your "safe place".  I'm new to this forum but have already found great advice on many things I thought could never be explained. Much thanks to any advice given!
Bookmark and Share
maybe, you think you can save me. Will you love me? Take care of me? Heal all my pain?

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: Little Steps
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:25:18 AM »
You are doing the right thing by deciding to take charge. Go a short distance, but go out every day, gradually increasing distance and time.

Then you can decide what else you will do to tame the tiger, let it know who is in control. Therapy? Meds? Self-help books? CBT and its components? You are on your way, just in time for the New Year. Wishing you all the best, we are here to try and support you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
I agree with tinam7.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:22:25 AM »
Hi GD...  Congratulations on deciding to step out of your comfort zone, and go for a walk today.  I have also been stepping outside of my comfort zone.  Yesterday, I drove up to a local fast food restaurant, and went through their drive thru.  The last time I did that, I had a panic attack.  This time, that didn't happen.  When I go for a walk in my neighborhood, I set a certain distance to go.  Sometimes I go beyond my set distance, and that makes me feel good.  Give yourself plenty of credit for what you are accomplishing.  You can tell yourself that your neighborhood is an extension of your home, so your neighborhood is also a safe place, and it is.  Then, slowly keep adding to that.  If I can do this, you can too!  Let us know how you are going.  The best to you!...  Chuck  P. S.: Remember what Neil Armstrong said when he landed on the moon.  "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."  Take that small step, and give yourself credit for a giant leap!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: coping anxiety help advice