Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.  (Read 4138 times)

Online insights

• Rec's: 93
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2014, 11:31:43 PM »
Can this be from depression?

Maybe. Or maybe you're just so focused inwards on your own problems that you can't be as interested in other things. Which is a natural reaction when you're not feeling great.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline azmattaz06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2014, 12:19:07 AM »
True but I ask because my dr said she sensed some kind of depression. And like yesterday when I played basketball I was so uninterested because I was too much in my own head I was thinking about how I was feeling and wasn't able to enjoy it. Tomorrow I'm switching locations and drs and hopefully the new one can give me some clarification on what my issue is because my dr now doesn't seem to care and doesn't seem to understand my "fog" and lack of concintration and focus.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2014, 01:19:44 AM »
True but I ask because my dr said she sensed some kind of depression.

I can't rule it out. But maybe you had a reason to be down.

And like yesterday when I played basketball I was so uninterested because I was too much in my own head I was thinking about how I was feeling and wasn't able to enjoy it.

Which is what I was suggesting in my previous post.

Tomorrow I'm switching locations and drs and hopefully the new one can give me some clarification on what my issue is because my dr now doesn't seem to care and doesn't seem to understand my "fog" and lack of concintration and focus.

Getting a second opinion/different perspective is sometimes a good idea, especially when you're not getting anywhere with the current treatment.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2014, 06:02:37 AM »
Well I've been down since my father passing so I wouldn't doubt the depression thing. And we'll see what happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
What do you think the chances are of the ssri doing some kind of damage to the frontal lobe of my brain? or a change or some sort? i ask because i read some stuff awhile back about that being possible with ssri, i'm sure it's a rare issue but what do you think? am i just causing myself fear and it's likely the ssri issue that you tell me?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2014, 12:44:13 AM »
What do you think the chances are of the ssri doing some kind of damage to the frontal lobe of my brain? or a change or some sort?

Damage, not as far as I know. The only material I've seen on this issue is some nonsense from the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a front organization of the Church of Scientology which is opposed to psychiatry, I assume, for business reasons.

But antidepressants do trigger changes in the frontal lobes by increasing the connections between the lobes and the Limbic system which regulates emotions. The Limbic system includes the amygdalas, two relatively primitive areas of the brain which trigger the automatic response to threats they perceives (people with damages amygdalas don't experience anxiety/fear). Among other things the frontal lobes apply intelligent processing to these threat reports, deciding which are and aren't real, so the better the communication between them the better. Basically, the amygdalas respond, for example, to you seeing a long slim round object out of the corner of your eye by activating the flight-or-fight response (via the hypothalamus and brainstem) and 'screaming' "snake, snake" at the frontal lobes. The frontal lobes then evaluate the data and may decide it's only a water hose and switch of the fear response.

i'm sure it's a rare issue but what do you think? am i just causing myself fear and it's likely the ssri issue that you tell me?

Not only is it not an issue, but SSRIs are used to treat the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia, a neurodegenerative disease of the frontal lobes due to cell loss.

SSRIs have now been available for over 25 years and other serotonergic antidepressants for over 50, with some having taken antidepressants continually for nearly all that time. I've been on them pretty much continually for 27 years at doses well above the recommended maximum. If their long-term used damaged the brain it would have become very evident by now.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2014, 05:38:16 AM »
Thank you. Sometimes I just need to know better. I appreciate your patience with me as sometimes I feel you and other are gonna say "screw this guy, he's a lost cause" haha
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2014, 06:59:07 AM »
"screw this guy, he's a lost cause"

There are no lost causes in life, only ones abandoned, often prematurely.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »
Screw this guy, Ian, he's a lost case!  :P ;D Joking, joking of course! Matt, all is gonna be well and there are no lost cases as long as we're alive and kicking or as Ian put it, only the ones abandoned.  :yes:  Hope u feel better really soon.
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
Really funny Leo!! :) hey insights I had a question, what do you think about me trying out some Ginkgo? Seems to be what I need. Just curious
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »
what do you think about me trying out some Ginkgo? Seems to be what I need. Just curious

What do you think you need it for? The brain fog? If so, I don't think this is because of reduced blood flow in the brain which is the main thing Ginkgo is likely to address. Luvox also has anticoagulant and vasodilation properties so taking Ginkgo won't greatly increase blood flow in the brain anyway. However, the two together could exacerbate bleeding so don't take Ginkgo without discussing it with your doctor first.

Are you still on 150mg of Luvox?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline LynnC

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »
Hey Azmattaz I just wanted to chime in and say I ended up switching to zoloft and my brain fog/dizziness/overall blah feeling is gone. I feel like a new person on zoloft compared to lexapro (and I stuck it out for 4.5 months on lex). I'm still in the process of titrating down on the lexapro while increasing the zoloft, but the differences really amaze me. Just thought to think about switching meds in the future if you're still feeling this way!
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »
Insights no I haven't upped to 150MG yet I'm still at 100MG, and idk I was at a health food store and was reading the label and it sounded pretty good but I agree with you probably not what I need. Thank you @LynnC i have an appointment with my new Dr in early May, she's pretty good I had her years ago, I'm hoping she'll back up the ssri thing and tell me to wait it out or idk tell me something, my other doc was confused so I didn't like that. Thank you though
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2014, 06:11:59 AM »
Just wanted to come in and update my post. Wanted to let everyone know, anxiety and depression are almost gone, the brainfog thing is still there but much less strong or bothersome, I can handle it now. Thank you guys so much for help keeping me sane, I'm not out of the woods but I see light now and that's a blessing I love life again. Insights I can't thank you enough you really helped keep me focused through some of the toughest days in my life. Thank you. And Leo99 you're gods blessing to my life you have been one of my best friends and I'm thankful for you. Thank you all for reading. I may have another bad day here or there and come on and tell you all about it but i truly am much much happier than I've been in a very long time. Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2014, 08:12:02 AM »
I'm glad it is, finally, working out for you. You're a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for. Now that you're well on the way to recovery, start living, really living!   :action-smiley-065:

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: