Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.  (Read 3715 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: My issue, brain fog.. Can't figure this out.
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 06:34:54 AM »
I'm wondering if my overthinking and racing thoughts are because of multiple things, depression medication anxiety.. I still just have so many what-ifs that I'm scared.

That's the anxiety, and maybe depression if you have it (which are both different points on the same biological continuum). They cause the non conscious brain areas of the Limbic System, particularly the Amygdalae, and the connections to the cognitive prefrontal cortex to go into overdrive sending lots of spurious stuff which then has to be processed and usually discarded.  For example, see:

Hyperactivity in brain may explain multiple symptoms of depression

Chinks in the brain circuitry make some more vulnerable to anxiety

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 10:52:07 PM »

That's the anxiety, and maybe depression if you have it (which are both different points on the same biological continuum). They cause the non conscious brain areas of the Limbic System, particularly the Amygdalae, and the connections to the cognitive prefrontal cortex to go into overdrive sending lots of spurious stuff which then has to be processed and usually discarded.  For example, see:

Hyperactivity in brain may explain multiple symptoms of depression

Ian

Hi Ian,

Based on the UCLA article you referenced, it stated:

" It is possible that a primary effect of antidepressant treatment is to 'repair' the brain's electrical connections and that normalizing brain connectivity is a key step in recovery from depression. That will be the next step in our research. "

I'm not very well versed on how the brain works by electrical circuits.  However there are many backed up studies on the effectiveness of Electrical Stimulation Therapy to alleviate deep depression, by stimulating parts of a depressed brain with electrical charges, over an approximate three month period.  Would you say that electricity is necessary part of neurogenesis with the brain?

Steve

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:19 PM »
However there are many backed up studies on the effectiveness of Electrical Stimulation Therapy to alleviate deep depression, by stimulating parts of a depressed brain with electrical charges, over an approximate three month period.  Would you say that electricity is necessary part of neurogenesis with the brain?

Probably not. No one knows how ECT works, but the electrical charge itself almost certainly doesn't have any direct role. There are a lot of ideas about how it may work, but nothing strong enough to be considered a hypothesis, let alone a theory. This article canvasses the most popular current ideas.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Abraham2007

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
Thanks for that article.  Not to be too critical, but the references to that article were rather old, in comparison to 2014.   But it did provide some interesting insight on ECT.  While you were researching the web, after I posted my question (which came from reading your referenced article), I also did some research myself.

Another research team linked electrical currents with rats (not humans), however their studies link electric currents with animal neurogenesis (again not human neurogenesis).  The linked article unfortunately doesn't provide much description of their experiment, other than a brief synopsis.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-birth-of-a-brain-cell-witnessing-neurogenesis/

After pinpointing their marker, the team ran two tests to determine the method's sensitivity and accuracy: First, they injected a bevy of stem cells into a rat's cerebral cortex, an outer brain layer where neurogenesis does not normally occur. They then passed an electric current through the animals' brains; electric currents induce neurogenesis in the hippocampus, a forebrain structure that is one of two sites (the other being the subventricular zone) where new neurons are believed to arise.

Of course rats are not humans, and it probably wouldn't be ethical to repeat the same procedure, of charging electric currents on the brains of awake human beings, like wide awake rats, but for me, it's an interesting train of research.  Didn't Frankenstein get birthed by electricity, with one bolt of lightning?   (Well it was a nice theory, regardless, if it came from a made up movie.)   :fragend005:

Thanks for answering my question.  I tend to ask you 'off the wall' questions, since I'm a curiosity seeker as well.  :spineyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, opps. btw, Matt, I didn't intentionally mean to hijack your thread, especially due to the emotional stage you are in at the moment.  I'm sorry if I may have been a little insensitive, despite my curious nature.  Please continue asking your questions to Ian and other members of the Medication forum.   :angel-smiley-006:  Steve
Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline azmattaz06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 07:21:09 PM »
Not a problem Steve, yeah I've been getting better slightly then I have these step back days but I'm pushing through, today I feel like I'm having a lot of heart palps.. It's whatever, I missed a dosage yesterday but got my mess and continued..
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
Not to be too critical, but the references to that article were rather old, in comparison to 2014.

True, but not much has changed since.

There is some evidence that ECT does aid human neurogenesis, there is also research suggesting that the new neurons are shortlived, at least in rats. I think this remains a case of 'watch this space.' The neuroendocrine theory (#2 in the article I previously linked) is still considered to produce the therapeutic effect.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
Hate having these back at day one days, makes me realize how far I actually did come, but as of right now I feel terrible.. Maybe I should up the Luvox
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
Dude, you've come so far in the past month.  In December/January, you felt really low then, but you're at least better that 'really low' because 'really low' is "lower than low.'   :-*  Hang in there, since medication takes time to adjust.  I can't give you any med talk, just some 'hope boosting'.  Need a hope-shot?   :happy0151:  It's a mind injection and has nothing to do with needles.   Just a shot of hope.

The Olympics are on.  Maybe the athletes can inspire you that we can overcome our ordeals?   Just gotta be persistent that it will all work out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 12:20:11 AM »
Appreciate that Abraham, I know I'm better but still got a long ways to go. Thanks for the encouragement brotha
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
Getting frustrated with this overthinking feeling, I'd really like to feel better again. I need to up my Luvox but I'm not looking forward to it. I start thinking I have other brain issues going on.. Irreversible brain issues lol is that typical?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
I start thinking I have other brain issues going on.. Irreversible brain issues lol is that typical?

Worrying about having brain issues can be fairly typical for those with health anxiety. Actually having serious brain issues is rare.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2014, 04:31:29 PM »
Yeah I understand.. Just so sick of feeling this way, can it take this long for the brain to even out and start feeling better? It's been a while since I been on Luvox I'm at 100MG a day.. I should up it but I've lagged.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
It's been a while since I been on Luvox I'm at 100MG a day.

You're at the low end of the 100-300mg/day therapeutic range. Most take 150-250mg for good results.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline azmattaz06

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
Gonna start 150MG today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
Gonna start 150MG today.

It might be better to get a prescription for 25mg or 50mg tablets so that you can first go up to 125mg for 7-10 days to limit the severity of side-effects.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: