Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: brain MRI please help  (Read 672 times)

Offline Willg87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
brain MRI please help
« on: December 21, 2013, 03:36:01 AM »
So I've posted here a few times wiring about brain tumours. I have just had a MRI and seen the neurologist and the language barrier wasn't good at all.

She was very rude then when she looked at my images in the right side of brain on every image there is almost a perfect circle of a lighter colour looks to be about 5mm.

She said it isn't a tumour but when I asked what it was she said I don't know.

I have to have another mri in a years time and now I'm freaking out should I get a second opinion will it become more clear when the radiologist report comes??

It just seems odd as when I came out of the scan they said there is nothing majorly obvious then I see that and well you can't miss it
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: brain MRI please help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 04:04:31 AM »
Might just be inflammation or pressure. Even if she was rude and not positive on what it was  being a neurologist she has probably seen enough brain tumours to rule that possibility out confidently.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Willg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:27:12 AM »
She was just very contradicting one minute she was saying it was nothing to worry about but I need to have a follow up and said there maybe one and a half and said worse case could be the start of ms. She also said could be a old injury or viral.

Then I said as I was really confused so it couldn't possibly be the start if a small tumor she said who knows what it may become. Told me not to worry but its kind of hard as I have seen something there that shouldn't be
Bookmark and Share

Offline hasenfuss22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
What about asking for a MRI with Contrast. They can see everything better. I found out I have a tumor behind my left optic nerve. The only problem was vision loss ( 50%). My tumor is benign and I am glad but they can't take it out because of it's location. Just a little bit to decrease pressure and to make sure it's not cancer.I might still become blind in this eye. I have to do radiation to see if it shrinks.
I didn't have to be proactive in my case but I do know that some doctors don't take us serious
Ask for a second opinion or at least for an MRI with contrast
My neurosurgeon told me 10-15 percent of people have benign brain tumors. People just don't know because it doesn't cause them symptoms. It really depends on the location and if it's fast growing or even cancer.
If you have questions let me know.
Bookmark and Share
extreme fear of cancer

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »
If you don't feel confident in her answer I would definitely get a second opinion. It absolutely doesn't hurt. You have the MRI to take with you to show. They might order another If they feel concerned, but I think that when it comes to something like this the stress of wondering is worse then not getting to the bottom of it.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:52 PM »
then I see that and well you can't miss it

Sure, you should get a second opinion if you're worried but let me ask you something about this part that I have quoted. Are you a radiologist? Do you know how to read the MRI images? I have done a sinus xray and a CT. When I had looked at the images I could see sh**. Ok, deviated septum was obvious because this is cartilage but they said that I had a polip in my maxillary sinus. I know where the maxillary sinus is and have seen nothing there. Not even a shadow, let alone any visible shape. I've had an operation so it must have been real. ;D Therefore, you should stop making conclusions about things for which you don't have an education.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline sportygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:10:53 PM »
That doesn't sound like a very good neurologist if she didn't know what she was looking at.
I work in Radiology but not MRI, but the Radiologist will usually put what it could be in the report so wait for that. For example, if it is a tumor, he'll note whether it looks benign or malignant or cystic and so on.

And I'd find a new doctor who is a little more competent.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Willg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 02:42:19 AM »
No I mean she said oh there a abnormality and it was like extremely obvious for example if you laid out a load of cards one color and then put one different colour card in amongst them then you would notice it.

I'm not saying I know what it is I have no idea hence why I'm really worried. I just wonder how she knows it's not a brain tumour but didn't know what it is.

And I have to have a follow up in a year but she said that's only because I have to not because she is worried. In just scared as there something there that shouldn't be and i have no clear answer :'(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »
Go to a neurologist with the results and ask for a second opinion and emphasize that you want detailes and not something vague like "it's nothing to worry about". But why are you surprised that she didn't know what it is? Do you think that MRI is some kind of magic futuristic scanner that tells you everything right away? It's more like taking a photo and then trying to reckognize suspicious looking objects in the blurry background.
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline Willg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »
Well I'm kind of confused as to if you don't know what something is how can you know it's nothing to worry about??
Bookmark and Share

Offline hasenfuss22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »
Sounds like a doctor with little empathy. I would just go to another doctor or best neurologist. They didn't know what I have either but at least they referred me to a neurologist. They did see a tumor. I don't want to scare you. 10-15 percent of people have benign tumors ( my neurosurgeon told me ). People find out by coincedent when they go to Mri's for example for something totally differentn (like an accident).As long as the tumor doesn't do anything to your brain, vision, etc. they do no surgery. They can tell from the MRI if it's cancer or not BUT not 100 %. He said like 98%. Just telling you what I learned the last few weeks. With my surgery and biopsy they could tell me 100% that it's not cancer.
I would just go for a second opinion. It's just rude to tell somebody we just don't know what you have. Did they do an MRI with contrast ? Just got my bill and saw the MRI with contrast was over 3000.- . I have insurance so of course I don't pay this amount. It's your brain/body so I would demand something to get some answers. I don't google anything anymore so you might have really nothing serious but you deserve an answer from your doctor.
Bookmark and Share
extreme fear of cancer

Offline Willg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
It was without contrast but very clear they have a new machine Tesla 3 or 4 or something.

It was a neurologist I see and she just said it's not a tumour is a abnormality so they have to do a check up in a year with any new findings. She said she doesn't know what it is but isn't anything to worry about could be a old injury or virus or something but as it's my first scan they have nothing to compare with or something
Bookmark and Share

Offline hasenfuss22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 05:49:16 PM »
Maybe in this case not another MRI but at least somebody else can look at it again. Another neurologist just looks at your scan. It's good to have reassurance from 2 people. On the other hand it's probably a good sign that they don't call you for more tests ( like with me :( ) I 've been through a lot with this.
Even for somebody with no health anxiety it's ok that just one other doctor looks at your scan. I hope I don't scare you too much but just try to help.
Bookmark and Share
extreme fear of cancer

Offline Willg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
Its horrible ain't it I hope things pick up for you I'm going to call them in the morning see if I get anywhere. The only reason I went for the scan is I was going to go for therapy but they refused to see me until I had the scan as they said would be nearly impossible without it to try and get me out of the way in been worrying
Bookmark and Share

Offline Willg87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 12:39:01 PM »
See my doctor today she had the radiologist report faxed to her. She said their 100% it isn't a Timor as it doesn't look like one there is something of the white matter around 6mm in size and its either a artifact or their doing a follow up in the year to see if it changes as worse case could be the begginings of ms
Bookmark and Share

Tags: