Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tension  (Read 160 times)

Offline 2013

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tension
« on: December 21, 2013, 01:11:14 AM »
I started taking lexapro several months ago and I have noticed that I have a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. I feel like I'm constantly reminding myself to relax and lower my shoulders and I'm sore all the time from the tension.  Even when I'm relaxed I notice I'm tensing my shoulders.  Is this a side effect of lexapro? 
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tension
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:21:17 AM »
I started taking lexapro several months ago and I have noticed that I have a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders. I feel like I'm constantly reminding myself to relax and lower my shoulders and I'm sore all the time from the tension.  Even when I'm relaxed I notice I'm tensing my shoulders.  Is this a side effect of lexapro?

Lexapro can have musculoskeletal side-effects like you describe so I suggest you discuss this with the prescribing physician.

It is possible that switching to Celexa (citalopram) would ease this. They are essentially the same drug, Lexapro (escitalopram) is the active isomer of citalopram, however, there can be subtle differences in the way the two meds affect people so it can be worthwhile switching from one to the other when relatively mild problems such as this one crop up, though there is no guarantee that it will work. As the active chemical is the same you shouldn't have any side-effects.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Gandalf the grey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:15:59 AM »
Ian,

Is it possible that Zoloft could do this as well? Ever since i began taking it, two months ago, my lower back, neck and shoulders have been sore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:20:32 AM »
Yes, zoloft can do so. it did for me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: