Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Elevated d-dimer test  (Read 199 times)

Offline mrsbell

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Elevated d-dimer test
« on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:01 PM »
I went to the doctor today for knee pain I've had for quite some time and to discuss my anxiety. As she was examining me she noticed a vein in my leg that was cause for suspicion. She sent me straight for an ultrasound to check for DVT, x ray of knee and d dimer blood test. Ultrasound didn't show any clots but d dimer was elevated. She didn't say how much. Started asking all these questions (family history of clots-no, shortness of breath-no) and I started freaking out. She told me not to worry right now and to take a baby aspirin everyday and she would consult with a hematologist next week.

I am freaking out. I'm a mess. I googled sadly and saw the other reasons for an elevated d dimer test.  I'm so scared. She mentioned the x ray showed some arthritis and the bones not meeting together properly.

I'm a total mess. Anyone have this elevated test before? I am scared out of my mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
Re: Elevated d-dimer test
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:08:32 AM »
I have never had tests like that, but you sound like you have a great dr who is going to make sure everything is fine! Try to calm down and have faith that your dr will make sure you are healthy and well :) in the mean time please stay off of google. It is the worst thing people like us can do. All it takes is one word and our minds take off to the darkest most dreaded spots! Keep us update with how you are doing!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline Andrea24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Elevated d-dimer test
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:42:38 AM »
I had an elevated d-dimer test as well.  I was at the hospital because of chest and stomach pain so the d dimer test was done just to be thorough.  I guess the cut off point is .46--mine was .47.  I got a ct scan and everything was normal.  The doc told me that a normal d dimer simply means that a clot can be ruled out without further testing, but an elevated one doesnt mean that something is wrong.  It only means that they cant just rule it out, thus additional tests are necessary.  D dimer can be high for a number of reasons that are nothing serious. Don't worry, Im sure its nothing. 
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Tags: