Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: HELLO TO EVERYONE  (Read 116 times)

Offline rungsat69

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
HELLO TO EVERYONE
« on: December 20, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
Hi, I am new to this site. I am a disabled Vietnam Veteran. I have PTSD, substance abuse problem, and OCD. I came to the site hoping I can get help with severe Panic Attacks. I have been clean now for 7 months. I am on a small dose of Suboxone do to my opitate abuse. I also take Prozac. I am currently taking QUETIAPINE to help me calm down during a panic attack. I have been doing good in my recovery attending AA meetings and I go to the VA clinic almost everyday for therapy classes. What I would like help with is how to cope with the panic attacks I get. These attacks seem to come out of the blue. I have a hard time trying to figure out what the trigger for these might be. I get a lot of WHAT IF thoughts that get blown out of shape and put me in severe anxiety attacks. I am convinced that I am going to have a heart attack or a stroke and that makes the panic attacks more intense. I cant focus on anything. I dont hear people when there talking to me, I can concentrate on anything except the thought I am obsessing over. I wake up every morning hoping I wont get a panic attack, but after I have been up for a hour or so I can feel the panic attack starting, so I start to think on ways that i can prevent it from getting worse. I have tried everything and they always get me to a full panic attack that I have to suffer through. It is affecting my day to day activity, and I always think I am getting crazy. I am 64 years old and have suffered with this for years. I have long periods of time that I dont get the panic attacks but they always resurface and stick around for a while. I would appreciate if I could get some help from the people who use this site. I would like to know why I cant get control of my thinking and be able to stay positive. I am a very negative person. I seem to be able to start thinking about something and get it all blown out of shape and end up with a lot of fear which makes my panic attacks worse. Like I already said it is the  WHAT IF'S  that I cant get a grip on, once i start it always go to as full blown attack

Thanks to all of you for listening
Rung
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HELLO TO EVERYONE
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
Hi Rung,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

All the aspects of your panic attacks are the same as what I go through when panic hits me.  I have dealt with panic attacks for over 8 years now.  I have them far less frequently than I did in the past and I have learned some techniques that help me to lessen the severity of the panic attacks and sometimes head them off before they start.  I do got to therapy (CBT) and it has helped teach me the tools to accept the panic and anxiety.  When you accept the panic and anxiety for what they are and nothing more then the anxiety and panic lose power.  It is the fighting and trying not to have them that makes them worse.  If I can say to myself that it is just panic and anxiety and really focus on that then the what ifs fade away and so does the panic. It is one of the hardest techniques I have ever tried, but it is by far the most effective.   I hope this helps and I would be more than happy to share any insights I have or answer any questions.  I hope you can find some support and help here on the site.

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline rungsat69

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HELLO TO EVERYONE
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Hi crikee, Thanks for the welcome to the site. I am 7 months clean and sober. I have had anxiety and panic attacks since I was 30 years old. I am working on how to handle my anxiety. I get thoughts that are not a real threat but for some reason I seem to start obsessing on them and it makes me anxious. I am experiencing panic attacks as I am writing this. I started getting panic attacks about 2 weeks ago. I came down with a bad case of nausea a while back  and I stopped taking my antidepressant. I went back on my antidepressant a couple days ago. I think that might have been what has triggered my panic attacks. All day today i have been jumping from one thought to another, it is kind of driving me crazy. There just thoughts I get and then I get a lot of fear for no reason. I guess I will have to struggle through this until it quits. My only choice at this point is to remember that it is just anxiety and I wont die from it. I have struggled over the years with this kind of stuff, and now that I am not drugging and drinking anymore I have to learn to feel my emotions, and learn to live life on life's terms. Once again thanks for the invite and I will stay in touch with you. When I use to use drugs and alcohol it was just a matter of taking a pill or drinking some beer and my anxiety was gone, and then in a few hours I was back to feeling like crap. I am really happy that I am drug and alcohol free today. I can finally work on all of the things that I use to self medicate my self over.

Rung
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything