Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Repeating a certain phrase in my head with no control over it - help?  (Read 372 times)

Offline TheSaga333

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This actually started three years ago but it seemed to go away eventually on its own or something, but it just returned around a week ago.

There is this certain phrase (ding dong) that just repeats itself over and over in my mind. I have no control over stopping it, which is frightening. The only thing that ever seems to make it stop, up until this point, has been simply to distract myself. I feel if I could just FORGET that phrase it would stop. I do not do this with any random words/phrases/song lyrics I hear - it is only that phrase. It's becoming really stressful as I cannot seem to stop. I feel also as if my brain is somewhat 'torturing' me - to clarify, it knows I do not want that phrase to be there and it causes me fear/anxiety and thus it keeps repeating it. Like that thinking pattern example when you tell someone 'do NOT think of a black dog for the next thirty minutes' and therefore that is all they can think about - that kind of thing.

The worst part is, is that I can be having a normal train of thought going on internally, and still be hearing the phrase. Like for instance, I'm thinking these words as I'm typing but underneath that - like a second inner voice? - I'm still hearing the phrase. =/

I do have OCD, well it's not diagnosed by a professional, but I identify very, very accurately with the rituals and superstitious types of thinking. I have a feeling it might be related to that, in some way, but I am not entirely sure. I do also have mild general anxiety too (diagnosed).

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop it? Or at least have any experience with this type of thing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Repeating a certain phrase in my head with no control over it - help?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
You could try replacing it with something else. Something yu did on purpose, rather than being subjected to it like now. I spent a lot of my life in choir so I tend to have things staying in my head for god awful amounts of time. But I can always subvert it by getting something else stuck in there instead. It would have to be something.. That you can repeat over and over without it losing potency, but also strange enough to amuse you and to lead into other, less destructive thought chains.

for instance, this: http://youtu.be/2wRaFXBDn0g
Bookmark and Share

Offline TheSaga333

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion. =]

I have tried to do that, and sometimes it works for a short period of time... but then I always go back to that one phrase. It's like I'm seriously obsessed with it. I guess it's just something I have to work through.  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »
Well there's a law that says what we resist - persists. So you have to stop resisting this thing and let it be there without trying to get rid of it, fighting it, getting upset when you notice it, trying to think of something else, etc. because all that is resistance and your resistance to this thing is what is actually making it into a problem. You are energising your mind by presenting it with a problem and once we tell our minds we have a problem then the mind kicks in and tries its best to solve it for us.

You see you've got to know how the mind works - once you do you'll love the mind because all it is doing is trying to help you solve a problem AND it won't stop until it no longer sees the problem - and I think that is pretty cool :happy0062:.

To get the mind to stop problem solving you have to either solve the problem or tell the mind that there isn't a problem to solve. Now seeing as you can't solve this problem, the only alternative is not to see this thing as a problem in the first place - because if you do then the mind will try to solve it - and it's as simple as that, because this is what the mind does.

So do nothing, do not resist this phrase just let it be there and do nothing with it. This is the cure - to let the mind know that there is not a problem and then when the phrase appears or occurs, which it will as the mind will check in with it to see if there is a problem, just let it be there and DO NOTHING with it - do not react, do not cry, do not get exasperated, DO NO-THING with it because trying to do something is resistance which energizes the mind, which interprets this as a problem to solve - and there is no solution other than seeing this thing as no problem, no big deal, nothing to worry about, etc. - when the mind sees that there is no problem to solve anymore, when you no longer energise the mind any more, then pretty soon this thing will evaporate from your mind.

Hope it helps  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »
I love this: what we resist - persists. We let it be - it melts away (my invention). Hope you don't mind if I quote this in the future. I give credit where credit is due.

Isn't our brain a magnificent piece of work when we get to know it? I'm waiting for a new brain book someone else recommended. If I can understand it I'll report back. In fact, it was recommended in the meditation thread.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hope for peace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »
I agree with the letting the words be said.  I have had OCD for 30 years and yes you get words stuck in your head.  The reason your mind will not let it go is because you are resisting it. So tell yourself we are going to say ding dong all day and play it like a little loop record and your mind will let it go. It is a classic OCD symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: