Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Palpitations  (Read 139 times)

Offline Jaggy0715

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Palpitations
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
I'm having palpitation scares now. It's weird for the longest time I get them every so often, a flutter or skipped beat when I lie down , bend down or most often just randomly. Usually I will feel one flutter and that's it .. Won't feel again for hours or even days. I quit drinking coffee or caffeine for that matter and they just plain freak me out.. Few years ago doctor told me try were normal but nothing feels normal about them.. :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Palpitations
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
I am 57 and have been having them off and on for over 30 years and they still scare the hell out of me
sometimes. I have been to the ER, had holter monitors, nuclear stress test, echo cardiograms, etc. They tell me
not to worry, but I must admit it is very difficult for me also, especially as I am aging.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
You should have a Holter ECG. That's a small device that is hooked to electrodes that are stuck to your chest with some serious glue and stay there for 24h. Like a normal ECG but it monitors your heart for 24h. Then you will know if they are just palpitations or SVES or VES (those are the real skipped beats that are a cause for concern but only if they happen frequently like a few hundred times a day). Maybe try a cardio workout like 15 minutes on a treadmill or an elliptical. If you can do it, you're probably fine. Also, measure your heart rate. Note the HR when you stop excersing and then stand still for 2 minutes and measure again. If your HR drops for 10 BPMs or less in those 2 minutes, go to a doctor immediately. But that's probably not the case since you're not mentioning that you're dying when climbing stairs. That's something you would notice and mention. ;D
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion

Offline Jaggy0715

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
Marc - they really are scary despite what doctors assure us.. When I get them I don't get many.. I would say maybe once a day I get a flutter. Doc said that if I excercise they are normal which I occasionally do and there is nothing scarier than bench pressing a ton of weight and getting a flutter feeling while your pressing the weight ..  I know I have anxiety issues , I'm able to control it for the most part but me being constantly stressed doesn't help..

I have a bad cocktail of problems that I'm trying to deal with.. Easily stressed , anxious, and worry aboutmy body way to much.. Wish I know how to stop but every time I do , I end up back at square one days or weeks later..

Thanks for the advise guys..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
You excercise and are worried about a skipped beat or two per day? That's nothing! Even those SVES and VES are fine if they happen only once a day. That's like me. I excercise quite a lot and worry when I get the twitches and strains. ;D
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion