Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: My Health Anxiety  (Read 111 times)

Offline meganeveryday

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My Health Anxiety
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
I'm so sick of this health anxiety. One day, I think I'm getting better, and then I have a night or day filled with anxiety. So far, my symptoms:

Chest pain/tightness
Back pain
Occasional leg cramps
Headache
Pinching pain on the left side of my neck
Left shoulder pain
Occasional fast heart rate
Lump in my throat
Swallowing a lot of mucus / thick saliva
Cough (I don't usually cough anything up, though)

I've been losing a lot of sleep over this. Sometimes, I'll sit up and it helps with the reflux feeling, but I still toss and turn at night.

It's especially bad at night and in the morning. My body continues to ache throughout the day, but a lot of the other "symptoms" come and go. I've been trying to think more rationally: acid reflux; allergies (I worked outside yesterday and probably inhaled a lot of dust); or maybe just an upper respiratory infection... but my mind keeps going elsewhere. I know I'm probably just tense and bringing these "symptoms" upon myself, but I can't help but think worst case scenario.

I've taken medicine: Zantac for reflux; Aleve for aches and pains; and Klonopin for anxiety, but the Klonopin is only a temporary fix that makes my "symptoms" feel worse. I've been to the ER three times in the last ~6 weeks, and I've been to my primary care physician a couple times, but I'm still not reassured. Sometimes, I can pass the "symptoms" off and go on about my day, but during the night, I have a hard time doing so.

Any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline lothartheterrible

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My Health Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 01:20:15 PM »
Take it one day, one hour, sometimes even one minute at a time. Learn to breathe deep and ask yourself, "Is this way of thought helping or hurting me?" Concentrate on thinking calming thoughts, and understand that it is going to be a battle; there is no magic bullet.

I suffer from pretty much all of the symptoms you listed, and I understand how difficult it is. Just do your best to make things as relaxing as you can and try to make each moment a little better.

And refuse to give in.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: