Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: 2 years untreated chronic anxiety... Is it too late?  (Read 355 times)

Offline chris1234

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
2 years untreated chronic anxiety... Is it too late?
« on: December 19, 2013, 12:22:25 AM »
This is something that's been ramping my brain for days now..... I'm finally gonna start meds/therapy, but is it too late for my brain to heal being that I've been chronically anxious to some degree everyday for 2 years , it came out of nowhere and for a while I wasted a lot of time at doctors thinking it was a physical problem.... Is my old self lost? Can I get back to a normal life?
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
Re: 2 years untreated chronic anxiety... Is it too late?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:37:46 AM »
Yep - no problem I was "lost" for 15+ years - been to hell and back, had virtually every symptom mentioned on here, etc. but I'm back to a normal life in fact I'm better than I was before BECAUSE of the experience - you will be too in time.

Getting over this thing is akin to learning to walk-  it's a skill that needs to be learned, earned even - you need to being able to  keep getting up after you've fallen down time and time again without complaint or feeling sorry for yourself (for long) - just like you did when you learned to walk, then once you can walk you learn to run, skip, jump, etc,. etc.

So keep going and don't give up until you've mastered this thing - that's the way.

And don't think you haven't got it in you - you have - dig deep, find it - it's there - just like when you learned to walk, talk, read, write, whatever.

Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
Thanks doogle .... I needed something like that your awesome
Bookmark and Share

Offline idleman52

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:22 PM »
I've had chronic anxiety for 5 years and i'm still going. I would say no it's not too late because the human body is stronger than you think. I believe people can get better it just takes a long time.
Bookmark and Share
"Relax!? You must be crazy!"

Offline chris1234

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 02:16:56 AM »
Did either of you guys take meds and/or go to therapy? If so what do u suggest
Bookmark and Share

Offline doogle2

• Rec's: 4
  • AKA doogle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:09:22 AM »
I suggest you never give up looking and never give up trying to gain the knowledge and the understanding that you need to get over this thing.

I know that sounds like a lame answer but from the heart its my best answer. Why? because everyone's journey is different and what helped me may not help you and what helps idleman may not help me, etc., etc., etc.

What I know is this - Anxiety is a psychological problem, based around our thoughts, our beliefs and our perceptions of how things are - IE: our perception of reality - NOT reality itself, our perception of reality, what we THINK is going on rather than what is actually going on. Paranoia for exmaple or OCD - mental imaginings that get us trapped in our own heads imagining things that in reality are just not true - but we believe them anyway. And this is what anxiety does, it creates a different viewpoint from what is truly going on in the world and because we imagine that different viewpoint and believe that different viewpoint we get all anxious about it because if we've conceived it then we can believe it, etc. and so in our heads there is a chance of it coming true so ............. :sprachlos020:  :sprachlos020: B-; :dazed: we freak out, etc.

The real trouble with anxiety is there are a million and one ways to develop these psychological problems and so my story is just one of those a million and one ways of developing psychological problems and so if I tell you how I unravelled mine then that is probably not the way that you need to unravel yours and so you may waste a lot of time and effort trying what worked for me - when in truth it is not what you need, and what you need MAY be something else.

And so all I know is this - somehow you are malfunctioning mentally - and that is what you have to work out. Somehow, somewhere and in some way you will be going "wrong" mentally and this will be causing you anxiety as a result - so to become "fixed" again you have to work out what best puts YOU back on the road to recovery - now that may be Meds, that may be CBT, that may be exercise, that may be meditation, that may be therapy, that may be changing jobs, careers, girlfriends (boyfriends :winking0008:), that may be problems at home that need fixing, that may be spirituality, yoga, a gluten free diet, relaxation, Buddhism, etc. etc., etc. but something somewhere will work for you and you just have to keep trying all your options until you find what works best for you.

Where I suggest you start is therapy, because talking out my problems did help me focus on what my problems were and just changing stuff without feeling them being wrong first, or your intuition telling you that something needs changing may be the recipe for disaster. For example I almost changed my career, but now I am happier than ever in my career, so it wasn't that that needed changing - so we have to be careful as we may make huge mistakes - and this is one of the major problems - we are scared witless of making a major mistake and so getting better can be a minefield.

So seek advise and take the trouble to come to GOOD decisions on what path you are going to follow next to get better, etc. by talking it through with people you love, know well, trust implicitly. Deliberate for as long as you like, but here's a great piece of advice - once you have made a decision then stick by it, it least in the short term, because there is nothing worse than making a decision then flapping over whether it was a good one or not just a few days later - see it through as much as you can - or until your intuition tells you that it is not working for you (and stick with it if your intuition tells you it is).

Logic and reason are the key ingredients to all of this and if I really must say what it was that got me better then it was that - Logic & reason - with a little bit of intuition thrown in. Now what is logical and reasonable in my world may well not be what is logical and reasonable in your world - so again we need to tread carefully and work out what is best for US - and that is just another reason as to why there are a million and one ways we develop psychological "problems". 

Best of luck with it my friend, hope it helps  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
The human mind is inspired enough when it comes to inventing horrors; it is when it tries to invent a Heaven that it shows itself cloddish ~ Evelyn Waugh

Tags: