Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anxeity from drugs  (Read 158 times)

Offline mikeyw92

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anxeity from drugs
« on: December 18, 2013, 10:32:33 AM »
Okay so I started suffering from anxeity attacks about 12 weeks ago now. I had my first one after smoking weed at a friends house, I have never been a heavy weed smoke just had some now and then. Anyway the next day I felt okay again and thought it must have just been the weed but whenI got home that night I had another one and feared I was losing my mind and stayed awake worrying the whole night. I went to my doctor who reassured me they were just panic attacks from anxeity and I went home feeling a lot better. The next day wich was my 21st birthday I went shopping for some clothes wich should be something you should enjoy but the whole time I felt anxious and was terrified I was going to have a panic attack infront of all these people. There were that many thoughts running threw my mind I couldn't even pick clothes to but an had a full blown attack and ran to the nearest taxi rank and went home. The anxeity was taking over my life I just wernt the same person I used to be, I was an outgoing person who was often called the light of the party. Everything made a turn for the worse one night at my girlfriends house, I felt like my life had no meaning and I had no future and felt really down. I had a panic attack that bad that I called an ambulance and went to to hospital. The next day I went back my doctors who said I was suffering from depression and axeity. I told him that I have been a user of cocaine, ecstacy and weed in the past but more cocaine then anything. My doctor was very understing and put me on anti depressents and give me medication for my anxeity. All my friends use cocaine almost every weekend so its always been around me, but for the next 8 weeks I managed to stay away from it all as I knew it was the main cause for my anxeity. I was starting feel so mutch better and this week had an interview for a very good job and got it. Everything was starting to look up for me. So on the last weekend just passed I was at friends house we started drinking early as we were watching the football match. After drinking all day my friends got some cocaine, I was feeling my old self and believed I had nothing wrong with me nomore so I started to take some. When I got home to bed I couldn't sleep and was tossing turning I felt like I was going to have a panic attack and thought about calling an ambulance. I seen it through but 3 days later I feel like I'm back to my old ways I've worried everyday that taking that cocaine along with the meds of my doctors is going to do something bad to me. I feel as though I'm losing my mind again. I don't expect any smpathy from anyone asi know the choice to take it again is my own fault but I have learned from it and it deffinetly won't happen again I just need some reassurance that I won't lose my mind and if I stay off it again I will feel better. Any advice would be helpful, please don't write about how bad I am for taking drugs I already know that and feel bad enough for it an promise I'm off them for good rhis time. Thanks in advance
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nevercalm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxeity from drugs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:04:44 AM »
Hey mikeyw92

yup it is definitely from drugs sorry to say. My first panic attack happened after smoking weed. I had smoked for a long time and never had any reaction like that but then one day full blown panic attack. I know a lot of people who quit smoking weed because it caused anxiety and I haven't touched the stuff much since.. My advice quit doing it all together because for me everytime I smoked weed I would start to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikeyw92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
Hey thanks for the reply, yeah I have come to realise now drugs arnt me I just can't handle them haha
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
Hi Mike...  First of all, don't beat yourself up for the drugs that you used in the past.  I don't know to many people that haven't at least tried them, and those that haven't, have used alcohol, which is a drug in itself.  I also applaud you for being honest with your doctor, and informing him about your drug use.  You didn't mention what drug(s) your doctor put you on.  Was it a benzo, such as Klonopin or ativan, and/or an anti-depressant?  Either way, when one is on benzos and/or anti-depressants, they should not take alcohol or any drugs, especially street drugs.  Cocaine is a stimulant, and stimulants are the last thing that someone with anxiety and panic attack need.  Even caffeine can have a negative effect on some with anxiety problems.  And alcohol is a depressant, and can greatly interfere with anti-depressants, as well as being a deadly combination with benzos.  As we grow older, at any age, our bodies change and we can't do the things that we did in the past.  You are wise to consider staying away from drugs and alcohol too, since you have been branded with panic attacks.  Hopefully your panic attacks were triggered by the drugs, and perhaps they will not occur again if you stay away from them.  The best to you, Mike...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikeyw92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:47:51 AM »
Thanks for the reply chuck the anti depressants I was put on were 10mg citalopram wich have now been upped to 20mg. I know now that drugs arnt for me so I'm going to stay away from them I just worry the damage is already done. I was feeling back to my normal self untill I took cocaaine again last weekend and I've done nothing but regret it since hopefully going clean again from now I'll start to feel back to normal, I have been controlling my panic attacks for weeks now but the last few days can't shake the thought about doung cocaine again and if its going to do something bad. Thanks for the reply anyway its really helped.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 01:24:13 PM »
My pleasure, Mike...  As I mentioned, don't beat yourself up over things you did in the past, even last week.  We are definitely our own worst enemy.  I am also on citalopram (Celexa), 20  mg, and have been on it for 3 1/2 weeks now.  You might want to go to the medications/therapy section here on Anxiety Zone, and learn more about how anti-depressants work.  They don't just act on chemicals in the brain, but actually promote the grown of new brain cells.  Alcohol actually destroys brain cells as well as interfering with what the anti-depressants are doing.  So do your best not to drink any alcohol at all during your treatment.  The best to you!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: