Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: cervical cancer fear  (Read 184 times)

Offline xtina81

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
cervical cancer fear
« on: December 18, 2013, 02:38:30 AM »
I went for my annual pap today. And I always cream out of testing positive or cervical cancer. In the past I've had abnormal results and I've also have been tested positive for hpv although I'm not sure what type. I've also have had to have a surgery done to take cut out a piece of my cervix because of the hpv about 8 years ago. I haven't had an abnormal test for 4 years but I'm still freaking out about it. Anyone out there experienced the same? I need positive feedback.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: cervical cancer fear
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 04:25:41 AM »
I myself actually have a broader problem of being nearly unable to go to they gyno due to emotional trauma: )  BUT I have a very close friend who has HPV and gets abnormal pap results every so often.  Its great that you have not had an abnormal test for so many years!  Another good thing, is that you KNOW you have a risk factor for cervical cancer and your doctors know.  This way, it's something that will be closely monitored.  Let's say the unthinkable happens and you are diagnosed with cervical cancer....it's likely that yours will be caught in a much earlier stage than someone who is not monitoring these things closely.  That is a blessing! 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »
If it helps at all, I just finished a microbiology course and I learned the majority of us have HPV, it just lies dormant. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
But I am curious, can they see HPV just with the regular pap, or do they have to do a different test?  I've always just had paps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
I had exactly the same as you. I was diagnosed with CIN2 which is PRE-cancerous cells (CIN 3 is the highest but still not cancer and it then goes on to actual cancer as it goes up the scale) on my smear test (what we call it in England!) I had a loop excision of the abnormal cells. I then had a biopsy again six months later due to discharge (TMI sorry!) and that was clear. I have since had two smears and all fine. HPV is awfully common and so are the pre cancerous changes. On being diagnosed I spoke to my friends and everyone knew someone who had the same! Just be aware of any changes down there when it comes to discharge, bleeding between periods, bleeding after sex, pain etc. It's always important to be cautious but I am sure you'll be fine as you have been for so long and it's unlikely to have reappeared.

It makes me wish I had been more careful as a teenager and used protection more!
Bookmark and Share

Offline xtina81

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 05:27:12 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. It's always really hard for me to wait for results from the test.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: