Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need help ASAP  (Read 241 times)

Offline Kyky89

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need help ASAP
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:19:31 AM »
I need some help! Tomorrow night (Wednesday 12/18) I am supposed to speak in front of my Chemical Dependency Intensive Outpatient Program group about my chemical use history. My dilemma is that I am the only one out of about 16 people in the group with a dual diagnosis. I have Bipolar II and am worried to share my personal history about chemical dependence because the progression of my disorder is so closely linked with it.

Specifically I am uncomfortable in the fact that I have all these issues that haven't come up in any of the personal histories I have heard in group before. Everyone thus far has mainly struggled with just the chemical dependence and has left out most emotional aspects. I feel like thats the central theme in my story. I deal with a lot of social anxiety. I feel like whatever reaction I get will determine the rest of my treatment. I just haven't been able to work on my recovery so far because I feel so different from my peers within the group. I constantly question if I belong in this level of care, even though all my docs/psych/therapist suggest I do.

I haven't even attempted to organize my thoughts and write out what I want to say yet because I don't know whats important. I don't want to share my entire mental health history but feel like thats pretty much the main reason I drank/abused meds.

So what Im asking for is any advice, opinions, or thoughts on any of these things. It would be greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need help ASAP
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:12:30 AM »
I would say to share the things you feel like sharing and leave the rest alone for now. I am sure you can pick out a few points in your life. Maybe a story or two of a time when you were at your worst. Don't be afraid to replace some of a key points if they are touching the areas you don't want to go near. Really it is a bit like writing a story for school. Be creative about it. You had a bad experience in your life. A time when you thought there was never going to be any way out. You turned to drink and whatever else you may have taken as a way of coping with the worst of things. Describe exactly how it made you feel to get up each morning and have to face another day. How drink played a big part in your life. What it really done to you. By way of masking the symptoms and only adding to your problems. Then we have the recovery. You knew you needed help. So you reached out for that help. You knew it wouldn't be an easy road to walk upon. But it was a road you had to walk if you wanted to get better. You can write all of this and not mention bi-polar once. The whole road to where you are at right now. Just give your story a start. A middle and what you hope the ending will be. Drag it out in parts. How the treatment is going. What it was like meeting others who had similar issues. How you no longer felt all alone with your problems. There were now others there too. Others like you. Others to help you walk that long hard road. It can be done. Just sit done. Relax. Create a little piece of magic you can read out. I am sure things will work out well for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: