Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Increasing Zoloft Dosage  (Read 324 times)

Offline dgrease43

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Increasing Zoloft Dosage
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »
And here we go again. I swear it never fails. Every couple of years I had to increase my Zoloft dosage. I started at 25 mg..then a few years later had increased anxiety/panic attacks again. We increased my dosage to 50 mg. Then a few years later my anxiety worsened and became almost unbearable. A few years later, here I am with my MD now increasing my dose from 100 mg to 125 mg. This anxiety felt different though, it almost feels like depression is going hand in hand with it. I am honestly just so exhausted of titrating my doses up. Have you all had similar problems? It really does become such a downer to have to constantly increase...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increasing Zoloft Dosage
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »
And here we go again. I swear it never fails. Every couple of years I had to increase my Zoloft dosage. I started at 25 mg..

I suspect a good part of your problem is contained in the last sentence. That was a sub therapeutic dose that may have been 'training' your brain to ignore the med. Any improvement owed more to the placebo effect or remission than the Zoloft. The usual minimum therapeutic dose is 50mg, but most need to take 100-150mg for good results.

The dose you need can also vary depending on the severity of stress levels. The more stress hormones you have circulating in your brain the more antidepressant you need to counter their destructive effects on brain cells.

You could try boosting the Zoloft with supplementary doses of Buspar (buspirone), but given the relatively low Zoloft dose, IMHO, it would be better to go up to 150mg, with perhaps 7-10 days at 125mg to limit any side-effects.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increasing Zoloft Dosage
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »
My dosage has been upped since the last time I saw my doc, but mine has been over a course of a couple of months, presumably in my case to get me used to it. I started at 50 mg, went to 100 mg, and then to 200 mg.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: