Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anxiety consuming my life  (Read 401 times)

Offline Gale

• Rec's: 1
  • My grand dog!!!!
    • Poke This Member
anxiety consuming my life
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:14:06 PM »
I have become so paranoid and frustrated with my anxiety. Nothing seems to help, so I am consumed that my problem is not anxiety, but MS or some other disease. WHY, why, won't these symptoms go away. I don't even believe my therapist or psychiartrist any more. I am having such a hard time functioning, going to work is an effort, just doing anything is an effort. Anyone else here feel like this?  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anxiety consuming my life
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Don't despair, a few years ago I had a light headed feeling for 3 1/2 years non stop and then one day it just went away.  A psychologist told me it was anxiety and I guess he was right.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:19:50 PM »
I have felt the way you so also, It is extremely difficult, but i talk to myself saying I will not let this anxiety
consume me and it works to an extent. I try to keep myself and my mind occupied and distracted.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Gale

• My grand dog!!!!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Thanks for your replies, it's reassuring to know that others also feel this way. But it's so hard to make these symptoms go away, they are with me 24/7!!!!!!!!! Guess I have to try, but having a difficult time, it's been way to many years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:26 AM »
All of us here on the boards are being consumed by anxiety, Gale.

I am currently going babanas because of my current HA scare and I cannot really function too well even when I'm with my family or friends. Everything feels like it's suspended on air and I am just walking through a lot of things without a care. At times I feel like there is a dark cloud hovering above my head wherever I go. You are not alone.

What are your symptoms that are driving you mad at this moment?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 03:53:15 AM »
Yeah, we all have these bouts of anxiety. I think you are having mild panic attacks. You shouldn't worry too much though. Anxiety is a b***h. But we are all here together - you are not suffering alone - none of us are suffering alone. Your feelings are not unique to you - we all have them. Some more severe than others. Some can deal with them while others feel worthless. But we all sway from one thing to another and we all experience the various dynamics to anxiety.

Try and keep calm and work out a plan to work towards dealing with your thoughts. The first thing is remembering that anxiety starts with your thoughts. What I do is write those thoughts down. I look at themů then I will try and counteract them with positive thoughts (even if I don't believe in the thoughts, I still write positive thoughts down for the sake of it). You should try and evaluate your thoughts objectively and rationally. Sometimes going through them with someone you trust can help you do this.

When you have written your thoughts down, both the bad ones and positive ones, go through the positive thoughts. Repeat them in your head.

Do things that you usually enjoy doing. Try and occupy your mind. When worrying thoughts come into your mind, refer back to those positive thoughts again. Repeat them in your head. Don't worry if you don't believe in those thoughts. Just repeat them. Read them out aloud. Think about them and rationalise over and over. And remember that if you have someone you can trust, then try and go through and rationalise the thoughts with them. But don't worry if you don't - you have us here. You can always have someone here go over them and rationalise for you; it is easier for others to objectively analyse someone else's thoughts.

It is important that you don't let it consume your life. You can deal with this. We all can.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:52:13 AM »
That was a really positive post Venomsoar. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
Indeed a very helpful and positive post Venomsoar!
What I would like to add is that you must really try to find someone you do trust. If you don't trust your therapist, talk about it with him/her or find a new one. If you keep doubting any diagnose there will be no end to your anxiety, and that's not how you wanna live.
I know it's hard to find someone that can be your anchor in this, but it will help you on so many levels.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gale

• My grand dog!!!!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
Once again, thanks so much for all of your help!!!!!! My symptoms are, fatigue, shakiness, feels like I am walking off balance, just feel so weird. I have read so much on MS that it consumes me. With 3 MRI"s all negative, you would think I would believe my docs, but I heard MS is so difficult to diagnose. Any of you ever had these symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:51:25 AM »
I've had the unsteady feeling on and off over the years and once it lasted several years.  It's not MS. I've had MRI's, nerve tests etc. and everything is normal.  A psychologist told  me it was almost certainly anxiety.

Do your self a favour and stay off the MS sites.  Nothing good can come of it.  Listen to your doctors and begin to deal with your anxiety, maybe you'll slowly see a change for the better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lo213

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:17:59 PM »
Anxiety has taken over my life. My fears are all around my heart, and I think every day is my last. I don't enjoy my family or my 10 month old son because I always think about what it will be like for them when I'm gone. Some days are better than others but not a day goes by that I don't have physical symptoms that I attribute to my heart. When I think about how many hundreds of times I've been wrong instead of feeling relieved and positive I just break down and cry because of how sad it is that I'm wasting my life. And I know that I'm over stressed because my husband is practically out of work and I'm working 60+ hours a week just so we can afford to live in a crappy trailer in the worst part of town where we average 2 break ins a month just in this neighborhood and have recently had two places held up by gunpoint and a drive by shooting. (I am in no way against trailers, I've lived in some really nice ones, but this one is falling apart and I fear for my safety because of the neighborhood). We also live with my BIL and SIL and he has no job and doesn't do chores so I always come home to a mess, which stresses me out. Then there's their cats who constantly pee in the house so it smells disgusting.  I hardly get to see my baby, and when I am home I'm either doing chores or so tired I just pass out. Two of my three jobs are on my feet all day and that's really tiring. And, as much as I want my husband to go back to work more again I don't know what we'll do about child care. My BIL was supposed to be the sitter, but I overhear him cursing at his newborn baby and he gets high while babysitting so we don't let him watch our baby anymore.   It just doesn't seem fair to have to work so hard and only have the bare minimum as far as living goes and to never have a whole day off.

That went into a lot more detail than I has planned but I'm so upset and so stressed and so consumed with fear that I often wish I could go to bed and never wake up. I'm not really living, anyway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gale

• My grand dog!!!!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
What do you do when, no meds are helping, not getting anything from CBT and all I want to do is sleep. I feel so weak and dizzy from the time I wake up and it goes on for 24/7. I love to shop, and lately I can't even do that. That's why I am doubting this is anxiety, can't believe it will do this to you. Am I in denial or have my docs diagnosed me wrong!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marbles88

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Anxiety can manifest in so many ways. For the longest time I would get hot flashes and night sweats. I was convinced that I was menopausal (although too young for it) which distressed me to no end. Now that I am pregnant, I still get night sweats. Being pregnant, I imagine I am not in menopause, so the sweats and flashes must be from something else. I am guessing anxiety. Your symptoms are most certainly from anxiety. Anxiety is super tricky!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 10:00:31 PM »
If no meds are helping, and you are not getting any help from CBT, perhaps you should try and battle this yourself. It sounds like you are depending too much on CBT and meds. Anxiety is something that starts in yourself like I said. I hold the opinion that you can take all the meds in the world, and receive all the kind of therapy that exists out there, but ultimately, the change starts within you making that change yourself. Meds and therapy are used for guidance and to make the ride smoother; in no way does it battle with the source of anxiety.

I know it is much easier said than done; believe me, I am not very good at taking my own advice. But that is why we have these forums. This is why we discuss the problems together in order to look upon our anxieties objectively.

I am currently battling with some stomach symptoms at the moment; I am worried about it being stomach cancer and for my life to be doomed. I am scared to make plans and I feel a little of despair when I look around at people living their lives - it is a really horrible feeling that I am going through. But I keep telling myself that it is more likely anxiety causing my symptoms. I am only 21 and I have read that the odds are 1 in a million. Not only that, but I am trying to overcome the fear of death, period.

My anxiety is like a roller coaster; I feel calm but then suddenly a bout of anxiety can hit me and send me into a panic attack - to which then it becomes a battle of trying to calm myself back down to where I was - which usually takes a lot more time than it does for it to just come straight back.

But just try and hang in there. You will make it through - and like I said, don't depend, or rely on meds and therapy too much. If you don't believe in yourself, I don't know in which way you think meds and therapy will work towards your anxiety. The change starts with you; the meds and therapy are supplements.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: