Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: seroquel and sleep  (Read 316 times)

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
seroquel and sleep
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »
Hi all I take 50mg a night of Seroquel but prescribed 100-200mg but the psy said I could cut back!!! Anyway I do sleep really good and deep but during this time I have a lot of dreams, and I mean vivid dreams and sometimes nightmares...also this morning was strange I dreamed my fiancÚ had left me and it was like so real I actually heard myself making crying sounds that woke me up. I just told him about it and he said I was making crying sounds and rubbing his head. Is this anxiety related along with the medication?? Any of you do anything like this??
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: seroquel and sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »
Is this anxiety related along with the medication?? Any of you do anything like this??

It may be the med. Psych meds can sometimes produce very vivid dreams, but whether they cause them or just allow us to remember our dreams more readily is open to debate. I wouldn't read too much into them.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:47:06 AM »
I have been on Seroquel 200mg for about 2 years now for GAD and/or unipolar depression. I'm less concerned with the diagnosis and more with what the help is. When I first started this drug I had crazy vivid sometimes freaky dreams. Powerful sedative. Now I just toss and turn in middle of the night. Tomorrow I am going to ask my psych for the extended release version so I can hopefully sleep the full night. Are you by chance on the XR?
Bookmark and Share

Offline nancyga13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
No i'm not on the XR and it has not been recommended or brought up, but I will probably bring it up! I can't really go up to high on Seroquel, I remember when I took 300mg it made my heart beat so fast!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowmanrn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:38:37 PM »
So my psychiatrist said if my primary use of Seroquel is sedation then the XR wouldn't be as good for me as regular because it releases slowly over a long period of time like 24 hours or something. Therefore the sedative effect won't hit as hard at once but it maybe good for helping with anxiety over a longer period of time. I decided not to try the XR for now. Despite having been unable to stand the cracked out feeling of being on SSRI's in the past he gave me a script for Cymbalta and encouraged me to try it. I've never tried it and it is an SSNRI. What the heck I guess I will try it.

Seroquel does have a lot of possible side effects. So far I haven't had any. I must say that my step brother who had schizoaffective disorder was doing very well on Seroquel for several years. He was up to 800mg a day at one point. When he was on a dose of 400mg He went into SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). This is where the heart starts to beat very very fast and may require an IV drug called Adenosine or even Cardioversion (shock) to the heart to convert back to a regular sinus rhythm. In his case Adenosine got him back to normal rhythm. They blamed the Seroquel for causing the rhythm but decided to take him off of it. He was doing so well on Seroquel I really think they should have kept him on it and just added a cardiac drug. A few months off Seroquel and on a new medication regime he wasn't do very well. Nobody knew how bad but 2 months later he was found by my dad hanging in the garage.

So sad. I was very close to him. Just thought I would share. I am not planning on stopping Seroquel though because going into SVT on this drug is very rare.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything