Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Vitamins are bad and coconut oil is good...WTF!!!  (Read 190 times)

Offline hypo5150

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Vitamins are bad and coconut oil is good...WTF!!!
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:01:07 PM »
Is anyone else confused by the mixed messages that are being put out there about good and bad things for our bodies?  I am a vitamin/supplement taker, especially heart helping supplements because I am a hypo when it relates to the heart.  I was always anti-saturated fat. Now, big brother says eat less carbs and more saturated fats and vitamins are worthless.  What is going on?  About 15 years ago they said avoid coconut oil,  now they say eat it like tic-tacs.  I have no idea what to eat anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Vitamins are bad and coconut oil is good...WTF!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:34 PM »
Coconut oil really is very good for you. But only the virgin, cold pressed stuff.

Vitamins have always been a bit questionable. Especially if you're taking them without a real need (ie a deficiency identified by your doc). A lot of the supplements and stuff can't be absorbed very well in pill form and only a certain amount can be absorbed at a time anyway.

The rest is flushed out through your kidneys. Which means a lot of supplements and stuff are just expensive urine...

If you want to get the vitamins you need you should eat a healthy diet and get a blood test onc a year to identify any areas you could improve your diet.

If your doc has told you to take supplements etc though. Definitely keep taking them!
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 82
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:10:30 PM »
Yeah, the low fat fad of the '90s really screwed everyone up.

I'd say, try your best to eat a healthy, balanced diet that's full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and heart-healthy fats. Don't go overboard on any one thing.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 03:07:02 AM »
It is important to understand the real context in which such studies exist. Academics publish in journals which promote new ideas, new research and responses to old research. they do not exist in a vaccuum but are part of an ongoing discussion. They may use different methodologies and different statistical models. Not all research is equal in value or design.

What we get in the public domain are snapshots of research divorced from the context of the discussion. We see 'new research claims that...X = Y' but we do not see 'old research that had a much stronger methodolgy with a larger sample size and better statistical analysis claims X = X', nor do we see 'objections to new study linking X and Y raised surrounding poor use of methodology'.

It is very frustrating for an academic like myself to see research portrayed in this way and I agree, it gives the impression that researchers are constantly changing their minds. Assumptions do change as research is conducted but actually much of the basic health messages (eat everything in moderation, eat plenty of fruit and veg, take exercise) has not changed for a long time.

Further, this has nothing to do with Big Brother. That attitude is unhelpful and believe me, acadeics are not big brother. More than likely they are impoverished post-docs slaving away to publish as much as they can in the vague hope of getting a tenured position one day!
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »
Lets add to it the fact that they're also now saying to ignore your cholesterol numbers altogether - just take the pills.  A real nightmare for us heart worriers!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: