Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Can lymph nodes swell from touching constantly?  (Read 302 times)

Offline NanoSim

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can lymph nodes swell from touching constantly?
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »
Hello everyone :action-smiley-065:, my first post here ( it's 3 a.m now can't sleep ).

I've had two swollen lymph nodes on the left side of the groin and I noticed them like 2 months ago when they were sore to the touch. Soon pain went away but they didn't go down in size. Then a month ago my father died of lymphoma so it was like a wake up call and I became obsessed with checking them every day. I went to doctor and she checked for all lymphs and only found those, blood tests (thyroid, kidneys, liver : the standard) came back fine and doctor said I can get an ultra sound to check it out (for my own piece of mind, she didn't say it's necessary). So a week later I noticed the same two lymphs but on the right side inflamed. Could this just be from the doc checking for them? i also have a sore throat now but no lymphs in the neck. I have been checking the lymphs on the right like twice a day every day for close to a week and I don't know if they've gotten bigger or same or smaller... I check both sides simultaneously to check for sizes.

I have also done the worst thing of checking google for abnormal sizes, and it says half an inch or bigger is abnormal, I mean the lymph isn't something I can get my fingers on from both sides so I don't know the exact size. I know some lymphs are like bean shaped, so I guess the length might be an inch or slightly more but diameter definitely not. I put my fingertip flat on the area and rub it sideways to feel for how the lymph moves, and sometimes apply more pressure. Does this prevent the lymph from going down, and maybe the reason the ones on the right appeared?

Sorry for the long post, but with my father's death and university work pressure, I'm under a lot of stress and this is just taking up my whole life....which could be nothing.

Thanks in advance :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can lymph nodes swell from touching constantly?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:14:54 AM »
I have heard they do swell when being constantly prodded.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
Yes.  My son had a bad case of seborrhea (dandruff) as an early teen and we noticed a lymph node on the back of his skull.  I looked it up and saw what area that node 'covered' but took him to the derm for tx.  The derm told me everytime we fooled with the node, it would swell up and it can take months to go down.  A further search showed that once a node has EVER enlarged, it never goes back to the size it was at birth.  It's sort of like a balloon that has been filled with air and then the air released.  It stays a 'larger'. 

http://www.drhull.com/EncyMaster/L/lymph_nodes.html

I really like the above link.  It's off a website for parents but includes answers to a lot of our 'grown up' questions and is in simple terms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NanoSim

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
Thank you both for your replies :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jdavies

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
Yes abosolutely it can enlarge just from your poking at it...I had one in my neck that worried me and of course I constantly felt it to see if it was bigger or harder and guess what it go way bigger...the doc told me to not touch it for a month and I didn't and voila it went down,...lymp nodes can take months to go down and you only have to worry when they constantly grow and are hard and hard like a ping pong ball.......not the soft squishy ones......
Bookmark and Share

Tags: