Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Experience with depersonalization / derealization?  (Read 389 times)

Offline butterflybandage

• "Fall seven times, stand up eight."
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Experience with depersonalization / derealization?
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:25:19 PM »
I've been experiencing depersonalization & derealization for almost 2 months now. I've upped my Zoloft dosage twice (with my doctor's supervision, of course), and I've now been on 100mg for close to about 3 weeks. It does seem to have helped a bit both times I've upped the dose, but it never fully leaves. Everything just seems so... unreal... like I'm just imagining my life, and it's just a dream I'm having.

MY QUESTION IS, to anyone who has ever experienced depersonalization or derealization, what is your story? What helped it, and how long did it take? Feel free to tell your full experience with it! And I hope you all have happy holidays! Thanks for all answers!
Bookmark and Share
"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Experience with depersonalization / derealization?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »
I've been battling it off and on for the past year. It is by far, my most uncomfortable "symptom" of anxiety. The only way mine goes away is when I'm doing something to keep myself busy...work, playing with my son, doing chores. The more free time, the worse it gets. If it gets out of hand and I'm in a situation where I can't get up and leave, I have to take 0.25mg Xanax. I try to stay away from the meds though unless I really need them. I don't have any experience with antidepressants, so I don't know if they help it or make it worse.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline Starlys80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
Withdrawing from Paxil is what gave me my derealization. It's so awful, I hate it! Worrying makes it much worse. I basically stay on the computer most of the day to distract me from it. As soon as I go anywhere it is with me. Mediation might be helpful. I am so bad at keeping up with it though. I like mindfulness meditation and guided imagery. I guess anything you can do to relax yourself might help, since I have read DP/DR is your brain's way of protecting you from overwhelming stress. There are a couple of books on Amazon about DP/DR, and there is also a great online support forum for it. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post the name, but you can PM me if you're interested.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Klong

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:42:59 AM »
I read somewhere a year or two ago that DP/DR is a result of stressed brain...if that makes sense.

I have had my share of DP/DR and I hate it.  My solution to it is to tough it out all day and then have a good sleep that night and wake up the next day feeling better.  I'll take benzos if I have too such that I can sleep well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:14:45 PM »
I'm 22 now, and first dealt with it when I was 15. Since then, I have experienced it several more times, including now.

In my [anecdotal] experience, once you've had it so long, you'll adapt and stop paying quite as much attention to it. From there, it should slowly start to subside. The key to maintaining that path though is patience, and to avoid checking in with yourself. For example, "how are my symptoms doing now?...How about now?" Obviously, it's okay to understand how we are feeling at any given moment, but the point where you feel like you're obsessing over it is too much. Even now, mine is only moderately bad, and I've spent the greater part of two weeks questioning every facet of my existence.

I would somewhat agree that derealization arises from a stressed brain, but more specifically one that is not immersed in its surroundings. I believe this because it always seems bad for me when I spend too much time dwelling on thoughts (doesn't matter what they are) and not enough time living in the moment, or the "real world." I have had relatively bad derealization before that would temporarily disappear altogether when I began videogaming (because gaming is immersive). Reading books has also helped to an extent.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 10:33:30 PM »
Yeah, it's what happens when your brain is extremely stressed out. Your brain dulls your experience to make it more manageable. Your awareness gets all quiet.

It lessens when a person's stress lessens. When your brain feels like it's safe to come out again, it'll go away. Until then, you just have to tolerate it I guess.

As much as people hate dissociation, it's actually a very useful adaptation. Once you get used to it, you recognize that it's actually beneficial. It's MUCH more comfortable to be dissociated than be in a state of extreme stress that's almost intolerable.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
accept that its just an illusion, and that if you stop worrying about it, it will go away rapidly. The more you get upset, the worse it gets. Also figure out what triggers it.. And then intentionally trigger it. Once you can show yourself you can do it on purpose, it loses a lot of power.

While it never goes away completely, it can completely lose any ability to influence you.
Bookmark and Share