Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Red bleeding mid-cycle!! (Warning:possible TMI but we're all adults here)  (Read 345 times)

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well another day, another worry.  It just never ends, does it?

Anyway, so I had my period on November 28 or 29 (can't remember - I was busy with Thanksgiving) and it was normal.  I know for sure I ovulated about 5 or 6 days ago (I'd go into detail on how I know, but I'll save you.  Just trust me, I know.), which was probably around December 10 or 11.  Normal cycle so far, for me.  This is when it gets weird.  December 14 I had a tiny bit of brown gritty spotting in underoos when I went to take a shower that evening.  I thought that was weird, but shrugged it off.  That night (early morning December 15) I woke up to use the bathroom and there was quite a bit of bright red blood in the toilet and on the toilet paper.  I FREAKED out.  That was only day 15 of my cycle - I'm only mid-cycle, I shouldn't be bleeding like that!  It tapered off last evening, but started AGAIN today (December 16).  I've heard of ovulation spotting but from what I know it's normally almost negligible and only really there when you wipe, and mixed with cervical mucus.  This is like a light period, bright red blood enough to have to use a tampon/pad.

I called my OBGYN's office and spoke to a nurse.  She said sometimes flukey things like this happen in our cycles, especially around a full moon which was a couple days ago (in her experience, she gets a lot of calls like this around full moons for whatever reason) and it's usually nothing to be concerned about.  I was relieved but then she said... BUT if it continues next cycle you need to come in to see the doctor.  So now I'm really freaked out about the obvious things - mostly cancers.

I should also mention that two cycles ago (NOT the last one on Nov 29), my period was SUPER heavy and lasted 7 days (mine normally last 4-5 days).  One night I even had to change my pad twice in the middle of the night.  It was only that bad one night, but the rest of it was just a LOT heavier than normal for me.

Does any of this mean anything to anyone?  Has anyone had similar experience and it turned out to be nothing or just "one of those things"?  Please help me, I'm really worried.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
For the record, I don't take any kind of birth control, I'm happily married and monogamous with my husband (no STIs), and I even did a pregnancy test just to rule it out, which was negative.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Red bleeding mid-cycle!! (Warning:possible TMI but we're all adults here)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:53:23 PM »
No one else?  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:05:59 PM »
Hi Air,
Sorry. I don't have experience with this , but know how frightening menstrual related stuff can be. Especially when things are abnormal and it's has neve happened before. I would trust your nurse and take the wait and see approach. If you don't have a bunch of pain and are dropping weight I wouldn't worry about it again. Hopefully when you cycle through this month and get your normal period it will help you feel better. Then if it happens again next month just go in and have it looked at. It could be any number of benign things, stress is amongst them!
Bookmark and Share

Offline megant19

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »
Hi - I had this EXACT same thing happen to me a few months ago. One month I had brown spotting for a day mid-cycle, my OB said don't worry it's just ovulation. The next month I had the bright red blood for over 24 hours, and the OB told me the same thing as they did you - and this month I had nothing. So hopefully for both of us it is just a flukey thing and nothing to worry about - but it scared me too. I don't use birth control either, same situation, and not pregnant. So who knows, but I did just have my annual exam 4 months ago and she said everything felt perfectly normal. Hope that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:49:10 AM »
Hi Air,
Sorry. I don't have experience with this , but know how frightening menstrual related stuff can be. Especially when things are abnormal and it's has neve happened before. I would trust your nurse and take the wait and see approach. If you don't have a bunch of pain and are dropping weight I wouldn't worry about it again. Hopefully when you cycle through this month and get your normal period it will help you feel better. Then if it happens again next month just go in and have it looked at. It could be any number of benign things, stress is amongst them!

Thank you, Michelle.  I appreciate the reassurance and advice.

Hi - I had this EXACT same thing happen to me a few months ago. One month I had brown spotting for a day mid-cycle, my OB said don't worry it's just ovulation. The next month I had the bright red blood for over 24 hours, and the OB told me the same thing as they did you - and this month I had nothing. So hopefully for both of us it is just a flukey thing and nothing to worry about - but it scared me too. I don't use birth control either, same situation, and not pregnant. So who knows, but I did just have my annual exam 4 months ago and she said everything felt perfectly normal. Hope that helps.

Megant19, thank you for sharing your experience.  It is really a relief to hear that you've had this exact same experience under the same circumstances and things evened out the next month.  I hope for both of us that it continues to be normal and if we do need to make that trip in to be seen by the doctor, that it's something entirely benign.

Thank you both so much for your responses!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:02:17 AM »
I've had so many things happen to me.  My NORMAL period is straight 7 day heavy, heavy bleeding .  It sucks.  But I freaked out when I noticed mid period I would stop for a day and then stat back up.  This just started happening a few cycles ago. 
And I've bled after sex, one time an actual significant amount.  Other times, faint spotting , other times, nothing at all. 
Each time I freak out. Honestly I'm trying right now to get over an "I have cervical cancer" kick.  But, I've always had my paps annually, and they've always been good.  If you've done the same, you honestly should have nothing to worry about.  Weird things do happen during our cycles. 
I don't know your age, but you could be going through pre menopausal changes.  I'm only 32  but I'm pretty sure I read that I'm at the age some things start changing.  But then again, my episode of heavy bleeding after sex was when j was 25.  My point is, as long as you've been faithful to your paps, you're more than likely just having the normal, weird bouts of craziness happen.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »
I've had so many things happen to me.  My NORMAL period is straight 7 day heavy, heavy bleeding .  It sucks.  But I freaked out when I noticed mid period I would stop for a day and then stat back up.  This just started happening a few cycles ago. 
And I've bled after sex, one time an actual significant amount.  Other times, faint spotting , other times, nothing at all. 
Each time I freak out. Honestly I'm trying right now to get over an "I have cervical cancer" kick.  But, I've always had my paps annually, and they've always been good.  If you've done the same, you honestly should have nothing to worry about.  Weird things do happen during our cycles. 
I don't know your age, but you could be going through pre menopausal changes.  I'm only 32  but I'm pretty sure I read that I'm at the age some things start changing.  But then again, my episode of heavy bleeding after sex was when j was 25.  My point is, as long as you've been faithful to your paps, you're more than likely just having the normal, weird bouts of craziness happen.  :)

Thanks, Daviezmom.  I've always had my period flow stop for a day then start, that's totally normal for me every time.  So I definitely wouldn't worry about that.  I do have annual exams and pap smears (last one was in June and it was normal), but with the weird bleeding I also worry about maybe endometrial, uterine, or ovarian cancer.  And yet this is the first time this has happened to my recollection - why do I jump so far off the deep end?!?  Ugh.  Anyway, I'll only be turning 30 next month so I highly doubt it could have anything to do with perimenopause.  I had a baby a year ago December 1st and my hormones have been a little wacky ever since, so maybe that's why?  I thought they were supposed to even out by now, it's been a year, but who knows.  Thanks for the response!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daviezmom

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 08:17:49 AM »
First time I'd definitely believe your nurse.  Weird things always happen to me and the tests still show I'm fine.  But of course, if it'll help your anxiety, get checked by your doctor. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: