Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified, don't know what to do.  (Read 263 times)

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Terrified, don't know what to do.
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
A couple weeks ago I had a blood test come back with elevated liver enzymes, and I've been freaking out about it in a multitude of ways ever since - even though two doctors have both told me not to worry about it and that the elevation wasn't anything to be concerned about. They didn't even think it needed to be investigated. I, of course, have not been able to let go of it, though. I ordered tests for viral hepatitis on my own because I read that it's one of the first things your doctor should check when your liver enzymes become elevated. Those came back negative, thankfully.

Now, though, I've moved onto other possibilities. Currently it's Wilson's Disease. It's a rare genetic disorder that causes copper to build up in your body and can manifest in your liver and through neurological and psychiatric symptoms. So, my brain has decided that the liver enzymes and my own anxiety/depression match the symptoms perfectly.

I'm just really hesitant to approach my doctor about it because I know it'll just be attributed to my health anxiety and of course I realize that that's perfectly valid but at the same time I worry that they'll keep brushing me off but something will actually be wrong. I can't go to another doctor because I don't have insurance and this is the only affordable healthcare option for me.

I just don't know what to do. I'm afraid to just drop it and have something really be wrong, but I also realize that after being told by two different doctors at the clinic that they weren't concerned about it and didn't see any reason to do a workup of it that it could just be my health anxiety that's overtaking my brain, and there really might not be anything to worry about. But I've read so many times that Wilson's is one of those diseases that flies under doctors radars a lot and is overlooked, and it's pretty easily treatable if detected early and kept up with but definitely fatal if not detected in time and a lot of the damage is irreversible at that point.

:sad0144:
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline JenBNimble

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified, don't know what to do.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:04:23 PM »
I've been there  :(

I went for a physical when my first child was 2 months old, and my ALT and AST came back slightly elevated. I think ALT was 47 (max 40) and AST was 35 (max 30). I spent the next week in an absolute panic before I went in for my retest, thinking of all the horrible things that could have caused this. I literally almost passed out in the doctor's office because I was hyperventilating. Luckily, my doctor was wonderful and helped me calm down. He told me that in about 50% of cases with minor elevations like this, it's just a fluke and it will come back normal on retest, which he was pretty sure was my situation. The majority of the rest are due to fatty liver, and only a very small percentage are due to hepatitis. He was right - my retest came back normal, and all the blood tests I've had since then have been normal.

Believe me, I know how your brain can come up with all the worst possibilities. But you should trust your doctor on this one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
Thank you for your response!

I'm trying really hard to quit worrying about it... I had a retest two weeks later and my enzymes all came back normal. The only elevation that I actually ever had was my ALT. My AST was still in the normal range. I just kind of screwed myself over I guess because I read all about how the fluctuations can happen between slightly elevated and normal with a ton of diseases, and so I continue to freak out.

I just don't want to spend unnecessary money ordering tests on my own because I can't bring myself to trust my doctors, but I can't seem to snap myself out of it. I'm just terrified all of the time for no reason.

:(
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Overthinking extrovert

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 05:13:56 PM »
I can't bring myself to trust my doctors

Let me quote someone smart. "If you want to train horses, do you consider the opionion of many or of those few that are horse trainers? Obviously, you must consider the opinion  only of those who train horses!" (Socrates in Plato's dialogue - Crito)

Then why do you consider the opinion of someone who is not a doctor? (namely - yourself) Okay, so you suspected that something was wrong and asked a doctor. He/she said you're fine. Do you have other symptoms that are a cause for your worries?
Bookmark and Share
It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion