Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: So frightened that I have a brain tumour  (Read 470 times)

Offline Pichooi

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So frightened that I have a brain tumour
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
I have had a headache for almost two months. Not immensely painful as I can still do things but annoying and ever present varies from dull to very occasionally severe. This has never happened to me before. It started out being just in the middle of the day but now I have it almost 24/7. I have been to the doctor twice and had all the blood tests but everything came back negative so the neurologist is suppose to ring me today (still waiting) to make an appointment. I'm overseas at the moment and I just want to go home but I can't because if I have a tumour going in a plane is a bad idea and also I don't want my family here to think I haven't enjoyed being with them. I have also had blurry vision on and off for a few months (even got prescribed with glasses but I still get it occasionally). I have also had tremors for a few months which at one stage seemed to be getting better so I didn't persue it but now I wish I had....maybe I've waited too long. I have regular muscle twitches too. I have upset myself so much I cry regularly when alone and try hard not to cry in public. I'm 27 I don't want to die. An Uncle and Aunty of mine both died of brain cancer. They say it's not hereditary but I believe it is. I am so insane that I've been eating raw garlic and ginger, eating lots of veggies and making teas with cinnamon and honey as I heard these are alternative cures for cancer. If I wasn't living with family I would have cut out meat and dairy too by now as a precaution (got to stop looking up stuff online!). I know it may all be anxiety logically but I'm so scared. I've never been so scared in my life! Last night I was scared to sleep because of my headache. If the neologist can't get me in within the next day or two I'm seriously going to consider going to the hospital.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: So frightened that I have a brain tumour
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »
Any persistent headache can be scary. I have actually known a few people who have had brain tumors and all
of them had progressively worsening headaches. I think for at least your piece of mind, you should get a CT scan
or MRI of your head.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
I forgot to mention that the woman that I work with had headaches for months and it turned
out to be stress related.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Pichooi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
Thanks for replying. I do hope it's stress
Bookmark and Share

Offline RobynJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:58:11 AM »
I'm sorry you're so frightened :( If it makes you feel any better I'm really sure it is all anxiety! In the past year I've convinced myself I couldn't have children, I had ovarian cancer, I was going to have a heart attack and then I convinced myself it was heart disease, I've also convinced myself I had a brain tumor and then it was Oral cancer and now I'm freaking out I've got saliva gland tumor! Honestly though it is all 100% anxiety and the best thing to do is to calm yourself down which is I know is really hard when you have that fear. Do you take medication for anxiety? That has really helped me.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
Hi Robyn,
Thanks for your post. I hope your right. I don't have any anxiety medication as I have never been formally diagnosed but maybe after this episode I will be. Seems like almost everyone here has suspected brain tumour at one time or another. Earlier this year I suspected oral and saliva gland tumour too ha ha but not with as much conviction as I have for brain tumour.  Still waiting for the neurologist to call trying to keep it together.
Bookmark and Share

Offline RobynJ

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
It might help to speak to your doctor about anxiety then. It's amazing what anxiety causes especially when you read about symptoms etc. I always find if I've read about something especially online I then suddenly start getting the symptoms I've read about it or I start convincing myself I've always had them! When I thought I had a brain tumor I read dizziness/nausea is a sign so of course I started have "dizzy spells" and feeling sick but it was all my anxiety causing it. I personally believe your constant headaches are caused by the stress of worrying constantly, it really is awful when you can't get something out of your head though no matter how much reassurance you get!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
I'm feeling about the same right now and awaiting a dreaded CT scan on Thursday. I've been getting constant pressure on the top of my head or at the front of my head. I sometimes feel like I've got hot or cold patches on my head. I convinced myself it was a brain tumour when half my body went tingly. I went to ER who said I had high bp caused by anxiety but all was fine. Seen an optician and all fine there but I'm still not reassured. Been started on betablockers but wonder if they're making me feel worse. I just can't stop ruminating and the more my head aches the more I worry! It's horrible isn't it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »
I sometimes worry that I have a brain tumour as I have had headaches for the last few months, but they have been diagnosed as migraines because of other symptoms.

The only assurance I can really give you is that the incidence of brain tumours in a lifetime are 8 in 100,000 people, and are often accompanied by other symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
It is horrible Natsab87! I didn't realize until today that twitching was also a form a seizure. I have been twitching non stop today. The neurologist didn't ring me. I think I'll go to hospital tomorrow after ringing my doctor as I'm so scared. I really feel like I can't wait another day. I don't even like the idea of sleeping tonight. Spent most of today crying.
Hypochondrius I hope I'm one of the 99 992 people without a tumour! I have such a bad feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Baseball1221

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
'm also one who is terrified.. I agree with an above post.. Once i started googling then i read other symptoms of a tumor. Then magically, I started having "dizzy spells" which was probably something that was normal from before. It's just overthinking which is really making me think I'm tumor free...
But yeah, just go to the hospital and tell them how you feel. They don't mess around there. When I was there, it was instant. 8 tubes for my blood tests etc.
Responding to your above post, however. Yes, I am also petrified of the muscle twitches I've been getting. Learning not too long ago that they were a type of seizure... It just makes me go nuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:13:54 AM »
Neurologist finally rung and want me to come in Friday. I don't want to wait until Friday! I'm not a pushy person so I probably wont go to the hospital but I feel like I want to.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:17:04 AM »
I feel the same re waiting for a CT scan and knowing I won't get the results right away! I work in a hospital so I am hoping I can get my consultant to chase them up for me as I don't want it hanging over me over Christmas! I know it's hard but at least it's only Friday and not weeks away. Hopefully they'll reassure you and put your mind at rest. At least we're all in the same boat and know how it feels. It's such a drain isn't it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pichooi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 07:12:01 AM »
It is indeed! My biggest worry is I'll go Friday and then they will say I need an mri or CT and then I'll have to wait another week for that to be booked. In Australia it is so much quicker to get these things done. I'm currently in Switzerland and I don't like the system here. I had to wait one week for my first appointment with the doctor to tell him about the headaches. Then one week later I rung to say the tablets didn't work as was instructed but then had to wait another week and a half for follow up. Now I have to wait a week past the follow up for this.
In Australia I can get a doctors appointment the day I call and then if tests need doing it can usually be done within a few days. Maybe they just don't have as many doctors here *shrugs* The waiting is killing me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »
The waiting is the worst part isn't it. I feel like if was diagnosed with something I could at least begin to deal with it.. Right now I'm in limbo. I've been telling myself to be positive today but there's only so many times you can say it and I think I'm driving my bf and mum crazy. I'm feeling a bit sick this evening and my right nostril keeps running. I wonder if this could be sinus related but then I also think oh what if a brain tumour would cause my nose to run as my symptoms have mainly been on the right side. This is frigging exhausting and boring! I want to feel Christmassy!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: brain tumour