Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin  (Read 460 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
I wanna taper down on my klonopin using the Ashton method but I'm terrified of everything about it, I could frigin cry right now I feel like I'm gonna be stuck on this drug after reading the horror stories about the withdrawal. I'm nervous to take Valium and klonopin together and how am I suppose to evenly cut a 1mg pill I'm half every time. I feel so hopeless and doomed, not if mention I have such bad health anxiety and I wanna get off paxil too. I live at home, have no job I feel so  worthless. I'm so sick of suffering everyday like this, idk how much more I can take, can't stop worrying about everything, too nervous to leave the house.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:59:20 PM »
if your anxiety is this bad maybe you shouldn't get off the klonopin, but increase the dose! it sounds like it's really severe right now. is there any other reason why you want to get off??? has paxil helped you in anyway? maybe switch to a different AD. but i really don't think now is a good time to get off the benzos. pleaseee speak to your doctor about increasing the dose or something. if you really must taper off, they sell tablet cutters at pharmacies. it will be very easy to cut in half using that. i'm so sorry that you feel like this, but you are not worthless. you are just struggling right now. please do not give up hope.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
They have me on 3 mg which I've been on for like 2 months, I'm afraid I'm gonna od on it cause I take it but it doesn't do anything. I'm so hopeless, I just want my life back so bad, it's so painful and I've been suffering for a year now
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
you will not OD on it i promise!!!!!! did 1mg ever help in the beginning, or no? honestly, just tell your doc how bad your anxiety is right now and request that the dose is upped to 2mg 3 times a day. if that still doesn't work try another benzo. and try another AD if the paxil is doing nothing!!!! i really really don't think you should taper down right now it will be chaos with the state you're in. and please try your hardest to not look up horror stories about these meds. there are literally horror stories for every single thing you can imagine! look up advil side effects and you will probably never take it again (which i admit to doing and now i haven't touched advil in 4 years....) but it is all irrational. please contact your doctor immediately, preferably a psychiatrist!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:39:14 AM »
I wanna taper down on my klonopin using the Ashton method but I'm terrified of everything about it, I could frigin cry right now I feel like I'm gonna be stuck on this drug after reading the horror stories about the withdrawal.

Then stop reading them. The horror stories are mostly written by people who don't know what they write about, and I include Ashton in that. She is a very flawed doctor.  Most people writing in benzodiazepine (BZD) withdrawal groups can't tell the difference between anxiety and withdrawal, IME. They also tend to have some very weird ideas about how to withdraw often involving a number of defined steps which must be followed exactly with difficulties in withdrawing then being proof you didn't follow them properly. Ideas that they didn't get from Ashton, BTW. They also seem to be very hung up about receptors for some reason.

Millions of epileptics were switched from Klonopin to the newer non BZD anti seizure meds a few decades ago with minimal drama even though 10mg/day would be about the standard dose and 20mg/day isn't rare. Withdrawal is almost a non issue in epilepsy support groups.

Also why do you want to taper off it now when you're about to reduce your Paxil dose before switching to Effexor? It would be the very worst time to begin tapering of Klonopin, IMHO.

I'm nervous to take Valium and klonopin together and how am I suppose to evenly cut a 1mg pill I'm half every time.

Why are you taking both? The point of the 'Ashton method' is to replace Klonopin with Valium and to then wean off the Valium.

Pharmacies sell pill-cutters which make cutting pills both more accurate and less bloody than using a knife.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »
In her manual it says the first two weeks you take .5 at night with Valium for my dose schedule. Idk what to do I feel so lost nervous and hopeless
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
In her manual it says the first two weeks you take .5 at night with Valium for my dose schedule. Idk what to do I feel so lost nervous and hopeless

You have been on Klonopin for a relatively short time you shouldn't need to do it that way. In fact most people don't. Just switch to the equivalent diazepam dose for 2 weeks than then begin the taper.

However, I still think you are making a mistake tapering of Klonopin ahead of switching your antidepressant. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
I've been on Klonopin for 8 months but only 2 months on the 3mg her advice was to decrease it by halves for a couple weeks or some bs
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:06:06 AM »
I've been on Klonopin for 8 months but only 2 months on the 3mg her advice was to decrease it by halves for a couple weeks or some bs

I still think a straight switch to diazepam will present few problems - unless you convince yourself that there will be. Withdrawal is more about psychology than chemistry. Believe you will suffer greatly and your mind is likely to produce the full catastrophe for you. And I still think now is not the right time to be weaning off benzodiazepines.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »
I'm def getting off the paxil I know that, I can't stand the way it makes me feel. I just feel so stuck, I just wanna feel the way I did on the effexor, i was on it for 6 years and did great, then when I tried to get back on it it made my anxiety skyrocket, but I think it was so intense because it came all the sudden after being 6 years anxiety free and I wasn't aware ssris and snris increase anxiety in the beginning. Now if I go on it I have to try to convince my ins company that the generic didn't work. Or does the actual effexor cause more potent anxiety in the beginning vs generic? I'm hanging on to life by a thread, I've been in hell for a year. I wouldn't wish these feelings on my worst enemy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
Now if I go on it I have to try to convince my ins company that the generic didn't work. Or does the actual effexor cause more potent anxiety in the beginning vs generic?

There should be no difference between them and I'm not convinced there is in most cases despite the claims sometimes made. At least not chemically, however, there are studies showing the brand may get better results because of the placebo effect. Expensive sugar (placebo) pills also seem to 'work' better than cheap sugar pills according to studies. Quite a few generics are made in the same facility as the branded version using the same ingredients with the only difference being the tablet stamping die and packaging.

When the generic failed to work did you switch to the branded version, and if so did it then kick-in and how long did it take?

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 01:11:57 AM »
When I was originally on it years ago I was on the brand name, they switched me to the generic and I didn't tell a difference but my mind was stronger then, I wasn't nervous about everything like I am now, I just had social anxiety and depression. I need to get out of this mess. Idk what to do with my meds,I'm nervous about withdrawal I'm nervous about my health constantly. I keep having weird ***** happening to me, I really do feel lost and hopeless, on top of that i have to work my way back into society and get over my social and anxiety. I have no job, I feel so overwhelmed I feel like exploding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 01:34:43 AM »
Idk what to do with my meds,I'm nervous about withdrawal I'm nervous about my health constantly.

I suspect most of your problem with Paxil and Klonopin is your state of mind, not the drugs and that most of this will disappear once the Paxil kicks-in. Tapering off both at about the same time is not the best way of going about it, you're only going to give yourself a lot of grief.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Starlys80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 01:51:51 AM »
Withdrawal is more about psychology than chemistry. Believe you will suffer greatly and your mind is likely to produce the full catastrophe for you.

Seriously? You're blaming people for their own bad WDs? Trust me it is not a "mind over matter" thing. Many people have issues coming off these drugs, many of whom did NOT think they would have problems so there goes your theory right there. AD and Benzo WD is a serious problem for many and unless you've been through it yourself you have no room to talk and should not be making these audacious statements. I'm glad if you've been able to come off/switch these drugs with no issue, but that is not the case for many others, including myself. Show some respect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 02:32:29 AM »
Seriously? You're blaming people for their own bad WDs?

No. I said that if you go into it believing you will suffer, you probably will. That psychology is as much a factor as chemistry. I do not know of anyone in the withdrawal field who would dispute that withdrawal is mediated by psychosocial as well as pharmacological factors and the psychosocial ones are often the more important to the outcome.

Which, for example, goes a long way to explaining why epileptics generally have a much easier time withdrawing from benzodiazepines than those of us with anxiety do even though they were often on much higher doses for much longer. Or why people will often begin to experience withdrawal symptoms if they are told their benzodiazepine dose has been reduced even though no reduction occurs (Winokur A, 1981).

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: