Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Living in my head  (Read 236 times)

Offline Mysty212

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Living in my head
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
I never feel in the being mode anymore. I am constantly analyzing every situation and thinking ahead of things in life in general. I never feel as though I am living in the moment or present. Everything seems utterly forced, and this causes me to be exhausted before I even get to the event/party or even work. This is a massive struggle in my life at the moment because I am unable to relax and let things happen naturally. GAD is a constant struggle, and social anxiety is causing me to stop socializing with others. It seems all to much, especially a busy time like Christmas right now. I have so many events to attend and its causing me to be even more anxious about them all. I am already thinking a head about this and that. This is exhausting and zapping my energy from doing even the simple things in life.

How can I stop being in my head so much. I just wish I could be in the present moment, but I feel like I can't anymore. Life seems to stressful/complicated and overwhelming right now.

Anyone else have this problem on a daily basis?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Living in my head
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 07:38:27 AM »
I understand how u feel, Mysty. Living in a head is actually a good way to describe it.
Best activities to get out of your head are said to be of very practical nature, like gardening, bicycling, crafts etc. Practicing mindfulness is priceless.
Midnfulness is all about being in the present moment.

Wishing you a managable December, it does get hectic  :winking0008:.
Be well!
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »
In my view much has to do with the times and all the technological links that make things so much more stressful. Takes discipline to decide what we can or cannot manage, what to avoid and summon the courage to do so.

This is why meditation is so appealing. It calms the brain, soothes the psyche and can help us to be in the moment, be at peace with ourself and try and exert some control.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lsbr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
I actually have the opposite problem.  What you're describing seems to have been my normal state. Being stuck "in the moment" leads to some really weird thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lily120

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
Yes, I totally relate. I have the same feeling often and really struggle with staying present. When I'm working on a specific task, what really helps me is listening to white noise or binaural beats, any kind of relaxing background sound. I plug in my earphones, and turn on the music. Also, listening to music while cooking helps. And guided relaxation or meditation. The last one really helps me with rest and sleep. These don't work for me all the time, though. Especially if my anxiety is too high, and then I have to write or talk it out first. For me it all goes back to taking it all one step at a time, making myself take my time with what I'm doing and not rush it.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:52:52 AM »
Am delighted music has come up because I meditate to music. Not sure I could sit happily without it. Have lovely selections for violin, for Irish flute, for piano, for clarinet, harp, etc.

Am also unorthodox re thoughts. Teachers teach "no thoughts." The brain will inevitably wander, gently bring it back to breath, is what we are told. Well, I say why not focus on one or two good thoughts? In CBT one goal is to change negatives into positives. So I regularly repeat one or two positives to my brain. To recondition it.

Here is a quote from a guru, "We become what we meditate on." This is true if we meditate regularly. Patience, persistence, dedication will get us there over time. Nothing happens instantly necessarily, but can happen gradually. What an idea that "we become what we want to become." Where does this start? In the head, of course.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: