Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: depression and new years eve  (Read 321 times)

Offline london23

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
depression and new years eve
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:06:52 AM »
does anyone here get depressed/anxious on new years eve? I get really sad and feel depressed looking back into the year and saying goodbye to it..dont know why exactly but its always felt like that...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: depression and new years eve
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:52 AM »
Loads of people would feel this way. End of another year of your life. It effects different people in different ways. Some are happy. Some are sad. It is normal. We are all only human come the end of the day.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 11:28:01 AM »
Hi London...  I grew up in the eastern part of the United States.  Didn't really give a thought to the fact that the eastern part was the first in the US to celebrate New Year's Eve.  I always stayed up till midnight, to bring in the New Year, and was always happy about it.  When I was 18, my family moved to California, the west coast.  The first year I was out there, and brought in the New Year, it was fun, but then it occurred to me that it was already 3 am on the east coast, and most people had already gone to bed.  Do you know the song by Chicago? "Does anyone really know what time it is, does anyone really care?"  To me, December 31st and January 1st are just two more days to enjoy life.  They are not the ending or the beginning of anything but a day in my life to do my best and make the most of.  Living in this moment, in this day, is what I'm trying to do, and that helps to reduce my anxiety and depression.  The best to you, London!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
I hate new years eve. Really. I would love to stay in bed during new years eve, and I once did that, together with my man and some hot chocolate milk. It get's me way too sentimental and anxious. If you really want to torture me on new years eve, play ABBA's "Happy new year" for me. That song sends me straight into depression.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
Don't know why, I also get very depressed this time of year---I have to wonder if it is because of the lack of sunlight. But, Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been tough for me, don't get me wrong, I still decorate for Christmas and always roast a turkey with all the fixins' for Thanksgiving. I kind of think I feel this way because unfortunately like lots of people out there my family and in-laws are spread out because of divorce etc.--and there is plenty dysfunction to go around. It's never a 'picture perfect' gathering like it's 'supposed' to be.

The start of a new year cheers me up though, it's as if I have a fresh clean slate to start over. But I usually spend it in the comfort of my own living room watching the ball drop on tv. Too much alcohol out in the bars---I'd rather be safe, inside my own home.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
I'm definitely feeling less well with the darkness at this time of year, and for me the question is odd in a way b/c last New Years Eve was the last great day I remember, before I found out about a friends fatal illness the next day and then got sick myself with anxiety/depression not long afterwards.  Stuff had probably been building since the summer (moving, increased work pressure, etc) but I had a grip on it all and the only thing I think I remember is some gastrointestinal issues, which I ignored.  Its been a battle since, with some pretty good days, and overall getting better, but not as quick as before with the medicines. Lexapro is not working as well as it did before (though the klonopin I also take is probably helping keep the worst of the anxiety at bay).  I for one will not be sad to see 2013 go, it has been a most painful year, I lost my friend, both parents, I had to take time off from my job last spring, and my health anxiety has been pretty bad at times, with just enough slightly off results from tests to fuel it at times.  Not to mention the physical sensations that go along with this when its bad, but I do journal so I know that when I feel better they tend to fade away.  I'm learning a lot thru therapy and just surviving, but its hard sometimes, and not really being able to go outside and putter around doesn't help. I'm optimistic that 2014 will be better, and I am not the only one in my circle of friends and family that will be happy to bid good riddance to 2013.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: