Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Getting off paxil  (Read 188 times)

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Getting off paxil
« on: December 14, 2013, 11:22:57 PM »
I'm going to wean myself down off 20mg of Paxil when I see my doctor, I can't stand the way it makes me feel. Only question I had was I'm taking the blue scored paroxetine tablets and do you know if I can wean off of it by gradually cutting the pill? I know certain pills aren't suppose to be cut up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Getting off paxil
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 11:43:59 PM »
I'm going to wean myself down off 20mg of Paxil when I see my doctor, I can't stand the way it makes me feel. Only question I had was I'm taking the blue scored paroxetine tablets and do you know if I can wean off of it by gradually cutting the pill? I know certain pills aren't suppose to be cut up.

I though the branded Paxil and most generic 20mg tablets were pink, with the 30mg tablets coloured blue.

Generally if a tablet is scored it can be cut. The meds that can't be are generally the slow release versions which usually have SR, XR, or CR after the brand name. Paxil CR doesn't come in 20mg, but a generic might. If in doubt ask your pharmacist.

BTW-if you're planning to switch to another antidepressant then I suggest you wait until you've seen your doctor as in many cases you can do the switch without weaning off the Paxil first. It is usually a lot easier to change antidepressants this way than to discontinue one before starting another.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:44:24 AM »
Like taper off Paxil as I'm starting a new one you mean? She wanted me to taper off the Paxil and start effexor, which is what I was one for 5 years and did great on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »
Like taper off Paxil as I'm starting a new one you mean? She wanted me to taper off the Paxil and start effexor, which is what I was one for 5 years and did great on.

At doses below 150mg Effexor acts only as a SSRI so it is possible to switch overnight if the Effexor dose is below that, though some doctors prefer a cross-taper. However, as you've been given specific instructions by your doctor you should follow them.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: