Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: starting Prozac soon  (Read 206 times)

Offline alwaysworring

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
starting Prozac soon
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
 I've  been  taking trazadone 50  for  about  two  months,  Dr  wants  me  to take Prozac. I  took. Prozac  years  ago  and  it  worked  fine.  but  I've  read  that  others  when  starting it  back up it  doesn't  work....I  did  try it  before  the trazadone  for like two  weeks  and  felt  numb.  worried  about  trying again

any  advice  or  thoughts ??
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: starting Prozac soon
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:52:03 PM »
I've  been  taking trazadone 50  for  about  two  months, 

Are you taking it for anxiety/depression, or for insomnia? The dose is adequate for insomnia, but well below therapeutic levels for anxiety and depression. It doesn't begin to act as an antidepressant until the dose gets up to 150-225mg/day.

Dr  wants  me  to take Prozac. I  took. Prozac  years  ago  and  it  worked  fine.  but  I've  read  that  others  when  starting it  back up it  doesn't  work...

The fact that you've taken Prozac before doesn't just reduce the odds of Prozac not working, but all antidepressants. However, this doesn't mean it definitely won't work. It probably will, though you may need to take a higher dose than last time to get the same result and the initial side-effects may be more severe and different.

I  did  try it  before  the trazadone  for like two  weeks  and  felt  numb.  worried  about  trying again

Given that you're already on trazodone I suggest you try it at a therapeutic dose for a month or two before thinking about switching. Sedation is less of a problem with the slow-release version and you'll probably need to take around 300mg/day for good results. You may find this useful: Mechanism of Action of Trazodone: a Multifunctional Drug.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline alwaysworring

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »
 I'm. taking  the trazadone  for  anxiety  though but  not  sure  why  she  chose  this  for me.  Itsbeen 12  years  since I  took  Prozac  before... I'm  thinking  of  switching  primarys...
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 66
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
I'm. taking  the trazadone  for  anxiety  though but  not  sure  why  she  chose  this  for me.

Then 50mg was far too low a dose. At 50mg it is only an antihistamine, a stronger Benadryl, which is useful for insomnia and hay fever, but does nothing for anxiety.

Trazodone is actually a pretty good antidepressant with few side-effects. It is sometimes prescribed as a supplement to counteract side-effects of other antidepressants. Its main problem is sedation which does lessen at higher doses.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: