Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: best jobs for the anxious--any suggestions?  (Read 389 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
best jobs for the anxious--any suggestions?
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
Hi, I am considering venturing out into the work force. Does anyone have any suggestions on what jobs are best for us anxious folk? Thank You so much! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: best jobs for the anxious--any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:14:39 AM »
Lot of people seem to work from home. Web site building and the likes. That sort of takes away from what you want. To get back out there. See is there any places in your area that help people like yourself get back into the work place. We have them here in Ireland. They train you slowly. Everybody involved has issues of the same kind. The whole idea is to have you mixing with other people. Then they might get you a place in some company for a few weeks. Training again. No idea about your country. Is a big thing over here. Loads of people use them.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
Hi Carrie-Ann...  I read your post last night, and really gave a lot of thought to what I thought would be good jobs for those of us with anxiety.  What I came up with is what Cuchculan mentioned, that we shouldn't limit ourselves by looking for a job that supports or anxiety, as we don't want to support our anxiety or give into it.  I had my initial problem with anxiety, some four years ago, and after I got back on my feet I went to work in an intensive care unit at a local hospital.  You would think that wouldn't be a good job for someone with anxiety, but I loved the job and thrived on it.  The job supported "me" and not my anxiety.  I think that we should look for something that we love to do, something that excites us.  The best to you, in your search for a job!...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
I agree with Cuchculan and MobileChucko. At the end of the day, the important thing is that we enjoy in what we are doing. We are much more than our anxiety.
Good luck in finding what excites you!
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline Nann James

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »
I don't think the job makes a lick of difference... but the key thing is your boss. One way to avoid this is getting a job by answering ads. I find that those are open because no one wants the job because of a bad boss.

Here is a suggestion... public interest jobs. They tend to be kinder and gentler there is a website for them "idealist.org".
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 09:40:40 PM »
Well, I'm still working on finding something I would enjoy. The research I've done has led me to wanting a job a the local public library. It just seems like it would be a nice, quiet atmosphere. So, I will probably head over there after the New Year to enquire about it. I suppose I could ask if there is volunteer work available maybe, to work my way up to a paying position. And the good thing is our library is less than 1 mile away from our home!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Quetzal828

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 02:01:51 AM »
I can't speak to what may be good careers for anxiety-ridden folk, but I can caution against what is possibly one of the worst fields for the anxious: law. Going to law school and spending a few years in the legal profession amped up my anxiety 500%. The law trains you to always focus on the negative and anticipate the worst-case scenario. You spend three years reading case after case involving horrible, terribly unfortunate and frightening circumstances. (Example: I got extremely anxious about sleepwalking after reading several criminal cases in which the defendant unwittingly murdered someone while sleepwalking.) The legal profession also rewards placing inhuman pressure on yourself to be perfect. Attorney jobs usually require insanely demanding hours, and most of your  colleagues are cutthroat-competitive a**holes.  Add to that the stress of massive student loans and a tanked job market, and you've got a recipe for a lifetime of anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pippy187

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 02:36:22 AM »
Not my line of work.... I'm a paramedic in a very busy agency :/
Bookmark and Share
He who fears death cannot enjoy life

My anxiety blog: http://pippy187.wordpress.com/

Offline Moongarm

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
Has your anxiety ever been related to your work before, or has the anxiety been from sources outside of work which then slowly crept into the workplace?  If anxiety was from a previous job then I would look at what you did like and what you didn't like from that job and then look for a job that has way more of what you do like than what you don't.  Try to avoid the major triggers for your anxiety, but if you get a couple smaller triggers well that may be something you can work through see some success fighting back at this horrible affliction.

My anxiety absolutely started from my previous job.  Not from the work itself, I liked the base function of the job and thrive under a deadline.  What I had problems with was a large amount of people half-butting their jobs and then passing the buck on to let someone else figure it out.  I was always that someone else. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: