Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Does this sound like a thryoid problem?  (Read 187 times)

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does this sound like a thryoid problem?
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
I've had a whole bunch of strange symptoms since I had my daughter in 2010
-extreme fatigue
-feeling weak and shaky
-heat intolerance
-sweating/clammy feeling
-periods have stopped completely and when I was getting them they were very light.
-anxiety is the highest it's ever been
-lost 40lbs without trying or changing my diet
-nausea and loss of appetite
-heart palpitations/really strong pounding at times when I'm not exerting myself
-joint pain
-brain fog
-dizziness
-diarrhea
-dry skin (have always had oily skin so this is really weird)
-feeling like my "engine" is always running and I can never relax.
-near syncope

I know a lot (most) of these are anxiety symptoms but thyroid problems run in my family and I'm really starting to think that this is part of my problem. I've had my blood run four times though and am always told that my thyroid is fine. I don't know how to get a doctor to take me seriously and order a more complete thyroid panel. So far they've only tested my TSH and I know that sometimes that isn't an accurate depiction of thyroid problems.

I know that my anxiety exacerbates a lot of these symptoms but I also know that something just isn't right, especially since it all started right after my daughter was born.

Has anyone else had to go through this sort of thing? How were you able to finally convince your doctor that something besides your anxiety was causing your symptoms?
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline cautiouskat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does this sound like a thryoid problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
Did you ask what your tsh was?  A lot of doctors feel like as long as you are between 0.5 and 5.0 you must be okay.  I always feel best when my tsh is no higher than 1.5.  I am down to .055 right now and feeling a lot of the symptoms you are having.  I would ask the doctor what the tsh value is (should be between 1.0 and 2.0), and if he/she is not willing to help you, ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.  With a family history of thyroid disease, you are at a much higher risk of getting it.  My son also has it.  Take care!

Kathy
Bookmark and Share

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »
No, and I suppose I should have. The doctor I went to last said they would call if anything was wrong with my blood work and since they never called, I assumed everything checked out. I had it checked again last August when the issue with my periods really started to concern me and that's what the Gynecologist thought my problem was, too. She also had some blood work done but called later on in the week and told me that everything was within normal range.

I'm wondering if thyroid levels can fluctuate and perhaps that's the reason it's never been caught. I'm currently regulated to the public health clinic due to crappy insurance and it takes months to get an appointment and by the time my appointment rolls around, whatever symptoms I made the appointment for have abated. The symptoms always come back though so I wonder.

I definitely will try and get a referral to an endocrinologist though as that's an avenue I haven't pursued yet.
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline cautiouskat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
I have also been wondering about fluctuating TSH levels.  I think mine is doing that.  I feel hot one minute and then ice cold the next.  I have shakiness in my legs with tired, achy muscles, lots of anxiety.  Who know how much anxiety plays into the whole thing.  I'm sure quite a bit!  I have the added pleasure of being 49 with fluctuating hormone levels I'm sure (even though the doctors say my levels are fine and I am not in perimenopause or menopause).  Anxiety is such a player here.  I feel the symptoms come on, and my anxiety level goes up.  I understand the symptoms you are having, and I can relate.  I would definitely ask what the TSH level was.  If it is under 1.0 or over 3.0, I would ask the doctor for treatment.  If he/she refuses, I would see another doctor.  Luckily mine is open to trying whatever makes me feel better.  Take care!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: