Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Heart Arrhythmia + Anxiety is ruining my life  (Read 196 times)

Offline adric22

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Heart Arrhythmia + Anxiety is ruining my life
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:53:50 PM »
I'm 38 years old, eat healthy, exercise regularly, and don't use any drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine.  Just to get that out of the way.  A few weeks ago I went to the ER for abnormal heart beats.  They ran just about every test possible and eventually said there was nothing wrong with my heart other than the occasional palpitation, and that'd I'd just have to live with it.

Well, that would probably be okay except that I suffer from anxiety attacks.  However, my attacks have always been triggered by specific criteria such as a dentist appointment or travelling out of town.  The attacks can be down right debilitating.  My doctor has long prescribed me Xanax which I take as-needed.  This has worked out really well for me and changed my life as now I'm able to do things I wasn't able to do before, but I only use the stuff maybe once every month or two for a few days when such an event is happening. 

The problem I'm having now is that every time my heart beats irregular, it sends me into an anxiety attack.  And the anxiety actually re-enforces the heart palpitation problem into a snowball effect.   I can take the Xanax and all is good for a few hours.  But I have long known that I can't take this stuff long-term and I've been taking the stuff for nearly two weeks now. So I'm trying to stop using it the last 2 days but I feel so horrible.  My skin is crawling, my adrenaline is rushing, my heart is pounding, my stomach is in knots, I can't eat, I can't sleep.  I don't have the desire to do anything.  I don't care about anything.  I just want to feel relaxed again without taking that drug. 

So I keep asking myself if I'm better off trying to tough this out, not knowing when life might return to normal. Or am I better off risking addiction to Xanax?

Oh - and I've been afraid to go out bike riding or jogging because of scared I'll have a heart attack.  The palpitations seem to get worse with increased heart rate.  So I can't even exercise which I understand is a good remedy for anxiety.

Should I try something like Benadryl to slow my brain down?  I take that for allergies occasionally and it sends me into a drowsy fog. Which, honestly, sort of sounds appealing right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rlbcjb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart Arrhythmia + Anxiety is ruining my life
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »
Gosh. Boy can I relate. Im 29 yrs old and im havimg the same issues. The only difference is my palps are worse at rest and get better with running around.
I am about ready to call my dr and ask him for an apt to talk all this over. Ive been in a two month fit on anxiety and mu palps started a month ago. Never had them before so im assuming its all the stress ive been causing myself. What an awful cycle this is. I dont even know how to go about asking him for help. Im ready to just admit craziness. And im guilty of the benadryl thing. Only at night! But its nice to drift off to sleep. Im very scared of getting xanex and becoming relient on it.
  :( you are def. Not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Online LaLune

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:26:42 AM »
This happened to me after I started smoking pot! and thats what freaked me out more because I was super concentrated on it and thought i was gunna have a heart attack :/. I have had heart palpations for awhile now they come and go randomly like it feels like my heart beats 3 times in a row then back to normal with two.

I still havent been to the doctor recently or anything and im 19. My family has a history of heart attacks and im so young that I think im gunna have one at any time because of all this stuff I see on the tv about kids dying randomly with heart attacks. I have read a ton about this so im kind of convinced that everything is okay sense ALOT of people seem to be having these types of symptoms like irregular heart beats.

I think everything will be okay ::) so we just have to cheer up and think for the best.. Even if it is super hard. I think stress and anxiety brings it out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tahowell2

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:28:17 AM »
A natural supplement I have tried lately is 125 (I think milligrams) magnesium oxide. This has helped calm myself and helped with palpitations somewhat. I get runs of palpitations that sometimes last for up to an hour so I know where you are coming from.

Just look around on the internet and see if there are some natural remedies you can try to help with palps. That is what I have been doing.
Bookmark and Share