Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Really struggling right now.  (Read 128 times)

Offline Xocnagem

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Energetic
    Energetic
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Really struggling right now.
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
My anxiety has been pretty bad for the last 2 months or so. I'm lightheaded a lot, really only when I'm by myself. My heart is always racing, thoughts are always going. I've been turning to drinking a few beers a night because it makes me feel normal. I had a really bad night last night and i woke up this morning feeling awful. I feel like an alcoholic for turning to this to feel better. I don't know what to do. I could really use some encourgment right now. I'm really going to try to not turn to alcohol anymore.
Bookmark and Share
God wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle!

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really struggling right now.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
I know that when we are anxious and panicking, we do what we feel we need to in order to make it stop.  However, self medicating with alcohol will only give you another set of problems.  Have you seen a doctor or therapist?  Is this an option for you?  Perhaps get prescribed some meds to help you through this tough time?  There are also a lot of good books that help you learn to cope with anxiety; my favorite was the Anxiety and Phobia workbook, because you did 'lessons" so to speak and wrote out the answers which was good therapy for me.  There are some great coping skills and explanations of what's going on as well.

It's a great thing that you recognize that you were turning to alcohol and want to refrain from that!  Be proud of yourself for that!  We do have a chat room here that may be a great distraction for you as well.  There are some good people there and lots to talk about!  You might want to consider giving that a try as well!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: