Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Saw psychiatrist for first time, came back with all sorts of meds  (Read 1550 times)

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Saw psychiatrist for first time, came back with all sorts of meds
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »
I've never dreamt about an antidepressant or a benzodiazepine in the story line, however years ago, I dreamt a previous therapist and I were in a 60's style convertible, with the top down, as we flew high in the sky over my old neighborhood, even worse, my therapist was the driver as I sat in the passenger seat.  Fortunately I woke up from that dream *shudders* :laugh3:

Good you're feeling fine on the Prozac, and it's not even been quite a week yet.  :P

it's really odd, i dream about drugs and substances a lot...even though i don't use any except for a short amount of time 3 years ago. weed, alcohol, sleeping pills, ecstasy, cocaine, antidepressants, benzos (this was the first time though) and i'm sure much more but i don't remember. it's so strange, i never have any desire to do any of these drugs. i don't even drink alcohol. and when i quit smoking i used to CONSTANTLY have dreams about smoking cigarettes, even a year after. it was so freaking weird. but ever since i got an ecig those dreams went away. LMAO that sounds like a really fun dream! much rather have something silly like that :P

and yeah i'm glad it hasn't been that bad. the klonopin is making me function very well, a week ago i was in hell! it's truly an awesome feeling to be in a crowded grocery store and feel completely comfortable while feeling completely lucid.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 12:50:16 AM »
at first i dreamt in my dream that i was in a dark scary room, and i just remember i felt so scared. then i woke up from that dream IN the dream and i remember i was so scared. i was shaking in my dream and i remember calling for help and calling for my mom, then i remember reaching for a klonopin and then i went into the living room to tell my mom how scared i was. then i FINALLY woke up and i was so confused if i was sstill dreaming or not, i felt really alarmed and scared but that went away fast. it was odd to say the least...hopefully i don't have another.

This is actually quite common even in people not taking psych drugs and probably the most plausible explanation for the alien abduction stories. Sometimes these lucid dreams can be many layers deep, dreams within dream within dreams, etc, etc, etc. They can occur in the twilight zone between REM sleep and wakefulness too which can really freak people out because their limbs often don't work then.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:24 AM »
tomorrow morning i am seeing my psychiatrist again to basically update her on how things are going. the prozac or klonopin is making me feel really sleepy all the time, which in my opinion is much better than the zombie mode celexa had me in. i'm also going to tell her that i don't want to take seroquel and would like to try something else...more mild. i wanna talk to her about getting off klonopin once the prozac kicks in and taking it as needed because i've read too many horrifying stories, and i have just freaked myself out. but without the klonopin this past week it would have been hell, since i have felt tense and anxious as i do whenever i start an ssri but it has been much more mild. and i am getting upset thinking about what if prozac doesn't work. sigh, so complicated and so much stress over just wanting to go back to my old self. doesn't help that i just found out my older brother left his halfway house and is back on the streets on drugs. i will update everyone tomorrow.

and sorry if all this sounds like a diary entry. i know some of the stuff i say is quite private, but i feel like maybe it would help others to read my experience so they don't feel so alone. funny thing is, my close friend was also prescribed prozac for similar reasons and started taking it at the same time. so i'm not necessarily going through this alone   :bigsmile: though it's sad that his anxiety has been off the wall and he has no benzos to calm him down.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »
and i am getting upset thinking about what if prozac doesn't work.

You need to stop doing that because it can become a self fulfilling prophesy increasing stress levels which may require a higher dose to bring under control. Therapy can be a great aid in showing you ways to stop such destructive self-talk.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
and i am getting upset thinking about what if prozac doesn't work.

You need to stop doing that because it can become a self fulfilling prophesy increasing stress levels which may require a higher dose to bring under control. Therapy can be a great aid in showing you ways to stop such destructive self-talk.

Ian

oh, you're so right :( i really do  have such negative self talk. it's a habit i picked up as a child i guess. my father is currently looking into getting me counseling, since they are much cheaper than CBT therapists. i think it'd be really nice to have one.

on a positive note it seems that the prozac seems to be tolerable as of day 9, and i just got back from my psych doc appointment. staying on the prozac 10mg for about 3 more weeks (when my next appointment is), and see if we will increase the dose from there. still on klonopin twice a day, and now she prescribed trazodone 50mg  to take as needed when i'm having trouble sleeping, also told me to try taking half of that. i feel much safer with that than seroquel. i guess i'll test it out tonight!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
In regards to CBT: You can even try to start that on your own. They have self-help CBT workbooks. I have the Anxiety and Worry Workbook by David Clark and Aaron Beck. Beck was the pioneer or CBT.

Also start looking for your "cognitive distortions" these are negative thought patterns that can lead down the path of anxiety.  A lot of times they are so automatic you don't even realize you do it. Try to catch yourself in these thoughts and adjust your thinking. Don't fret if actively directing your thoughts doesn't improve your anxiety initially, it takes time.

Here are the main cognitive distortions:

1) All or nothing thinking. I also call this “black or white” thinking. Everything is all good, or all bad. There is nothing in between.

2)Overgeneralization. You tend to view any single negative thing as an eternal pattern of negativity. If one bad thing happens, the world is obviously coming to an end.

3)Disqualifying the positive. You can’t accept anything positive ever happening. So if something good happens, you always find a way to turn it into a negative thing, or explain why it was a fluke or it doesn’t count.

4) Mental filter. You filter out all good qualities of something so you can focus on the negative. In this way everything becomes negative.
    Jumping to conclusions. You become a mind reader and a fortune teller. You interpret everything in a negative way without any supporting evidence.

5)Catastrophizing or minimization. You blow minor things out of proportion, and minimize positive things.

6) Emotional reasoning. You assume that your negative emotions and feelings reflect actual reality. If you feel bad, everything is bad.

Should statements. You try and mold the world to your vision of reality, instead of accepting the world’s reality. A very common version of this in relationships is, “If he (or she) loved me he (or she) wouldn’t ….”

7)Labeling and mislabeling. Overgeneralization in the extreme. You actually believe the overgeneralizations and make them reality in your own mind.

8) Personalization. You take things personally. You become very defensive at even the slightest perceived criticism.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »
In regards to CBT: You can even try to start that on your own. They have self-help CBT workbooks. I have the Anxiety and Worry Workbook by David Clark and Aaron Beck. Beck was the pioneer or CBT.

Also start looking for your "cognitive distortions" these are negative thought patterns that can lead down the path of anxiety.  A lot of times they are so automatic you don't even realize you do it. Try to catch yourself in these thoughts and adjust your thinking. Don't fret if actively directing your thoughts doesn't improve your anxiety initially, it takes time.

Here are the main cognitive distortions:

1) All or nothing thinking. I also call this “black or white” thinking. Everything is all good, or all bad. There is nothing in between.

2)Overgeneralization. You tend to view any single negative thing as an eternal pattern of negativity. If one bad thing happens, the world is obviously coming to an end.

3)Disqualifying the positive. You can’t accept anything positive ever happening. So if something good happens, you always find a way to turn it into a negative thing, or explain why it was a fluke or it doesn’t count.

4) Mental filter. You filter out all good qualities of something so you can focus on the negative. In this way everything becomes negative.
    Jumping to conclusions. You become a mind reader and a fortune teller. You interpret everything in a negative way without any supporting evidence.

5)Catastrophizing or minimization. You blow minor things out of proportion, and minimize positive things.

6) Emotional reasoning. You assume that your negative emotions and feelings reflect actual reality. If you feel bad, everything is bad.

Should statements. You try and mold the world to your vision of reality, instead of accepting the world’s reality. A very common version of this in relationships is, “If he (or she) loved me he (or she) wouldn’t ….”

7)Labeling and mislabeling. Overgeneralization in the extreme. You actually believe the overgeneralizations and make them reality in your own mind.

8) Personalization. You take things personally. You become very defensive at even the slightest perceived criticism.

i think i will buy a CBT workbook. i have a workbook for agoraphobia, but it didn't help at all. but i've read that CBT  can be effective even if done with a book or online course.

and, another update. 13th day of prozac and i definitely notice something new. when i sleep i sleep FOREVER. the past few days i have been sleeping for 12 hours. i try so desperately to wake up after 8-9 hours (and usually do for a few minutes to take my morning pills) then i go right back to bed!!!!!! it's insane. i REALLY hope this is temporary because i just can't be sleeping like that! and i know for a fact it isn't the klonopin doing this, since even when it used to make me sleepy i could still get 7-8 hours of sleep and be able to wake up. i really don't think i'll need the trazodone for awhile! the upside is that i don't feel sleepy during the day. my anxiety levels have been down a lot, but i feel melancholic a lot of the days. i think i suffer from dysthymia and it's really showing itself now that i'm not an anxious mess all the time. hope the prozac works in that department. but so far, so good. this is definitely much better than celexa in terms of getting on it.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »
when i sleep i sleep FOREVER. the past few days i have been sleeping for 12 hours. i try so desperately to wake up after 8-9 hours (and usually do for a few minutes to take my morning pills) then i go right back to bed!!!!!! it's insane. i REALLY hope this is temporary because i just can't be sleeping like that!

For every person complaining SSRIs keep them awake there's another complaining about not being able to get out of bed. lol  With Prozac the excess sedation usually doesn't last. My advise is not to fight it anymore than you have to as there is a lot of reorganization happening in the brain which may benefit from it being at relative rest.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »
when i sleep i sleep FOREVER. the past few days i have been sleeping for 12 hours. i try so desperately to wake up after 8-9 hours (and usually do for a few minutes to take my morning pills) then i go right back to bed!!!!!! it's insane. i REALLY hope this is temporary because i just can't be sleeping like that!

For every person complaining SSRIs keep them awake there's another complaining about not being able to get out of bed. lol  With Prozac the excess sedation usually doesn't last. My advise is not to fight it anymore than you have to as there is a lot of reorganization happening in the brain which may benefit from it being at relative rest.

Ian

yeah very true :) i'll just let my body do its thing. and i have a question Ian, my next psych appointment is in about 3 weeks which would mean i'd be on prozac 10mg for about a month. if i see some benefits from the 10mg should i stay on that dose or go up to 20mg? since i know 20mg is the therapeutic dose and my psych doc basically told me it's up to me if i want to go up, even though she wanted me to go up a couple days ago but i said the side effects were still a bit much. i just don't want another disaster like i did going up a dose on celexa.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »
my next psych appointment is in about 3 weeks which would mean i'd be on prozac 10mg for about a month. if i see some benefits from the 10mg should i stay on that dose or go up to 20mg? since i know 20mg is the therapeutic dose and my psych doc basically told me it's up to me if i want to go up, even though she wanted me to go up a couple days ago but i said the side effects were still a bit much.

The usual rule of thumb is not to increase the dose until plasma levels have plateaued from the current one. The problem with Prozac is that because of its very long half-life this takes 4-5 weeks which is longer than most doctors want to hold patients at a sub therapeutic dose so they typically increase it after 2 weeks. If you can cope with the delay then maybe split the difference by going up to 20mg a week before your next appointment, i.e. after about 3 weeks on 10mg. That way should you run into problems you can discuss them with the doctor within a couple of days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
my next psych appointment is in about 3 weeks which would mean i'd be on prozac 10mg for about a month. if i see some benefits from the 10mg should i stay on that dose or go up to 20mg? since i know 20mg is the therapeutic dose and my psych doc basically told me it's up to me if i want to go up, even though she wanted me to go up a couple days ago but i said the side effects were still a bit much.

The usual rule of thumb is not to increase the dose until plasma levels have plateaued from the current one. The problem with Prozac is that because of its very long half-life this takes 4-5 weeks which is longer than most doctors want to hold patients at a sub therapeutic dose so they typically increase it after 2 weeks. If you can cope with the delay then maybe split the difference by going up to 20mg a week before your next appointment, i.e. after about 3 weeks on 10mg. That way should you run into problems you can discuss them with the doctor within a couple of days.

Ian

well, if i'm going to up my dose to 20mg a week before my next appointment should i email my psych doc or call or something and request a 20mg prescription? i feel like she wouldn't do this. but i don't know. all i know is that next time i see her i am for sure leaving with a scrip for 20mg prozac. and so far it's been treating me very well at 10mg, the initial side effects were way more bearable thanks to klonopin. though i am also thinking about bringing up taking .5mg klonopin 3 times a day instead of 2...since i still feel this free floating anxiety 6-8 hours after i take my morning pill. i'm not sure if this would be a good idea and i'm scared she'll think i'm trying to get high. but i'm also worried that 3 times a day might not be necessary? i don't know. what do you think?

also i heard that smoking cigarettes reduces the efficiency of benzos. would this apply to e-cigarettes also, which only have nicotine and some other stuff? because i frequently use my e-cig. or is it something else in cigarettes that causes this.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
well, if i'm going to up my dose to 20mg a week before my next appointment should i email my psych doc or call or something and request a 20mg prescription? i feel like she wouldn't do this. but i don't know.

You said earlier that your psychiatrists wanted you to be on 20mg a while back, so why would she have a problem prescribing 20mg tablets?

though i am also thinking about bringing up taking .5mg klonopin 3 times a day instead of 2...since i still feel this free floating anxiety 6-8 hours after i take my morning pill.

I don't know what is causing that anxiety peak 6-8 hours after you take the Klonopin, but it isn't because the med is no longer working. With daily dosing there is little variation in plasma concentrations throughout the day. A dose takes 2-4 hours just to reach peak levels in the bloodstream. However, it may be that the dose is inadequate.

also i heard that smoking cigarettes reduces the efficiency of benzos. would this apply to e-cigarettes also, which only have nicotine and some other stuff? because i frequently use my e-cig. or is it something else in cigarettes that causes this.

While the evidence isn't strong, it does appear that nicotine may inhibit most benzodiazepines to a small extent and affect alprazolam (Xanax) significantly, reducing plasma levels by up to 50% and half-life by a third.  However, irrespective of any drug interaction, nicotine and anxiety disorders are not a good mix as nicotine significantly worsens the condition. Smokers think it calms them down, and it does, but only by reducing the extra anxiety of interdose withdrawal.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 02:22:52 AM »
well, if i'm going to up my dose to 20mg a week before my next appointment should i email my psych doc or call or something and request a 20mg prescription? i feel like she wouldn't do this. but i don't know.

You said earlier that your psychiatrists wanted you to be on 20mg a while back, so why would she have a problem prescribing 20mg tablets?

though i am also thinking about bringing up taking .5mg klonopin 3 times a day instead of 2...since i still feel this free floating anxiety 6-8 hours after i take my morning pill.

I don't know what is causing that anxiety peak 6-8 hours after you take the Klonopin, but it isn't because the med is no longer working. With daily dosing there is little variation in plasma concentrations throughout the day. A dose takes 2-4 hours just to reach peak levels in the bloodstream. However, it may be that the dose is inadequate.

While the evidence isn't strong, it does appear that nicotine may inhibit most benzodiazepines to a small extent and affect alprazolam (Xanax) significantly, reducing plasma levels by up to 50% and half-life by a third.  However, irrespective of any drug interaction, nicotine and anxiety disorders are not a good mix as nicotine significantly worsens the condition. Smokers think it calms them down, and it does, but only by reducing the extra anxiety of interdose withdrawal.

Ian

well, i use the e-cig to keep me from going back to cigarettes and to relax a bit, i honestly just like the act of smoking. but i definitely don't have that anxious i-need-to-have-a-smoke feeling every hour with my ecig. i don't use it much anyway, so maybe it's not a problem and klonopin isn't a problem either. and tomorrow i am going to call my doctor and talk to her about prescribing me 20mg prozac so i can report its side effects when i see her next.

one more question Ian, i know she knows my med cocktail and put me on trazodone for when i have difficulty sleeping...but i read about trazodone interactions with prozac and klonopin! apparently trazodone + prozac can cause serotonin syndrome? and i don't want to stop breathing in my sleep because the trazodone depresses my CNS on top of the klonopin. i'm probably just being paranoid but i need some reassurance on this, because i've been sleeping very poorly! i actually think my poor sleep throughout the years has contributed to my problems...since it's always been difficult to fall asleep and sometimes i wake up during the night and have trouble falling back asleep, but i somehow still manage to sleep 8 hours but i STILL don't feel rested. so it's safe to take yes? i would be taking 25mg trazodone.

Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 04:59:11 AM »
an update for anyone who cares about my little med journey...

i took 25mg trazodone (half a pill) an hour ago......feel fine....feel a little drowsy but not knock me out drowsy. though i haven't really tried laying down and sleeping lol  ::) i think tomorrow night i'm gonna take the whole pill, 50mg. really hope i don't die in my sleep though, dumb paranoia!  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 06:49:56 AM »
i honestly just like the act of smoking

Maybe, but take it from me, you wouldn't like the consequences. Losing a lung is no fun, it is reputably the most painful surgery there is, and the long term effects are no fun either, not just the lack of puff, but the extra strain on the heart from losing part of its shock absorbing protection too. Yet you're grateful for having to endure it all because surgery is the only potential cure. Most lung cancers are too advanced for surgery by the time they're discovered.

one more question Ian, i know she knows my med cocktail and put me on trazodone for when i have difficulty sleeping...but i read about trazodone interactions with prozac and klonopin! apparently trazodone + prozac can cause serotonin syndrome?

Trazodone only begins to affect serotonin at doses above 150-225mg so there is no danger of serotonin syndrome at 25mg, or even 125mg.

and i don't want to stop breathing in my sleep because the trazodone depresses my CNS on top of the klonopin.

No, trazodone isn't have the impact of alcohol on the brainstem. Interestingly, trazodone and the amino acid and serotonin precursor L-Tryptophan (L-T) reduces breathing difficulties in in British bulldogs which are notorious for having breathing problems and I can't see why this wouldn't apply to humans too with Prozac replacing the L-T. Note: don't be tempted to take L-T as there would be a definite danger of serotonin syndrome by combining it with Prozac, plus if that syndrome doesn't get you, Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome might.

HOWEVER, taking trazodone and Klonopin together may enhance the sedation greatly, so caution is necessary. You could end up sleeping through much of the next day. Be extra cautious when operating machinery, or engaging in potentially hazardous activity as judgment may be impaired.

i think tomorrow night i'm gonna take the whole pill, 50mg

See the caution above, plus be aware that double the dose doesn't necessarily mean double the sedation. The effect diminishes as the dose increases until there is little at 300mg plus.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: