Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I think I have made a break-through!  (Read 275 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think I have made a break-through!
« on: December 09, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »
I decided to 'work' on myself tonight, to try and get to the bottom of my anxiety. I wrote down all my fears shockingly there were only two. One is the fear of getting older--not just looking older, but my body breaking down on me. And my other fear is having very high anxiety that leads to panic when I have to go to a social function. After I wrote all that I came up with answers to why I have those fears, and then I wrote what it is that I can do about them. The getting older is unavoidable, but I decided I can age gracefully and take care of my body the best I can. The fear I have when I go to a social function comes from having had previous panic attacks, thus I am scared of having another which causes terrible physical symptoms, racing heart etc.

But, the big break-through came when I took myself back to 2006, when all this began. Something happened in my life, something pretty devastating. And that occurrence caused a feeling in me that made it harder to face people because I felt damaged. It was something that someone else did to me, making me feel that my life as I understood it was all a lie.

So, after all this time, I have finally gotten to the root of my anxiety---what initially caused it. It was the shame of having been 'damaged', and what it meant for me and my life. Now, I have to somehow stop the anxious thoughts in their tracks, because I am worthy to be at these social functions just like everyone else. I have to stop being afraid of people judging me, just because I think I am damaged.
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I think I have made a break-through!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »
Carrie-Ann...  Good for you!  That is just wonderful, you looking within yourself for the reasons for your anxiety.  I think that I should take a cue from you, and do the same thing.  Thanks for your post...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline geo_eccentric

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:57 AM »
Organized writing has always helped me as well. Both fears are actually pretty common (one is known as agoraphobia) and very solvable, and I'm glad to see you are succeeding in doing so.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:00:52 AM »
Thank you geo-, I've always written in journals since my twenties and find it easy to express what I'm feeling that way. It does help find solutions to problems we other wise can't.
Bookmark and Share

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:24:29 PM »
That's great Carrie!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: