Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of Appliances  (Read 178 times)

Offline Nann James

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of Appliances
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:40 PM »
It is just that I don't really know what to do with them if something goes wrong. Often, the appliances are such that they don't turn off if I turn them off... ie they have a timer or they are based on a thermostat.

I have a heat pump and it is the safest type of heating system but I am constantly terrorized by it in the winter because if something goes wrong with it... I can't like really hit the "off" button. It runs on a thermostat. I have tried a few times turning it off and nothing happened.  I hate using the oven because that too... even if I turn it off it is still hot so.. if something is burning.. it is going to burn for a while longer.  Even the fridge, a few years ago it broke and needed to turn it off. You would really really think it would be easy to pull it out and unplug it.... but NOOOOOOOOOO... i ended up really pulling my back out trying to get to the plug and get it off.

I have a breaker system but true story.. I have never used it. I know people say.. oh you just have to pull the breaker.. but honestly I DON"T KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!  I mean sure the electrician probably told me.. but in a crisis situation... I am not going to remember.

I am always scared there is going to be a catastrophic problem with my heater while I am asleep. And I HATE that it runs all night long when it is cold.

I think my whole life I have been this way. The house I grew up in was gas and I could not conceive the idea that we literally were lighting a little fire in the basement every time it came on.  And that gas was super flammable.  But even now.. I am made miserable by having the heat on all night.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of Appliances
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »
I would talk to someone to try to get yourself the help you need so you can try to overcome these painful feelings and get your life back on track.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of Appliances
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Hi Nann James...  You certainly painted a picture of the appliances in your house.  And you did indicate that they both worry and scare you.  I'd like to know more about your feelings.  Is this causing you anxiety, depression?  And how severe are your feelings?  Also, you didn't mention if you have received any treatment for you worries and fears.  Have you ever seen a therapist, been on any medications?  I agree with what Marc said, and advise you to seek professional help for this problem.  You are among friends here, and I wish you the best...  Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Tags: