Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Prozac experiences?  (Read 220 times)

Offline Andrea24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Prozac experiences?
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »
I started taking Prozac 17 days ago for anxiety and depression--the depression being the worse.  My pdoc had originally given me Zoloft, but because I came down with gastritis (unrelated to the Zoloft) she decided to switch me because she says Zoloft can affect the stomach.  As a side note, my second day on Zoloft was quite good.  While I still felt low and anxious (and had the physical depression symptoms that plague me like headaches, stomach aches, and random body aches), my brain fog was gone! It felt like a miracle.  This one improvement gave me faith that the drug would work--and quite frankly, brain fog is one of the most miserable depression symptoms to me.  But, I had to switch to Prozac after only 5 days on Zoloft.  Immediately on Prozac, I had the energy to get things done--like clean my apartment, cook, do my schoolwork, etc.  Even though I felt very down,  Prozac gave me the energy to get up and do at least some things.  Again, this gave me faith that Prozac would be a good medication for me.  All of the first week--and I only started on 5mgs so it could I have been a placebo effect--I felt ok. "OK" was acceptable as I know these meds don't work overnight.  But, starting week 2 gastrointestinal side effects, insomnia, and other side effects began to kick in.  On day 14, I had to increase my dose to 10 mgs...and I have been taking .25-.5 mgs of Xanax for the last 4 days to help with my increased anxiety and insomnia. I also take Tylenol as needed for the headaches.  Can anyone weigh in about their experiences on Prozac?  Side effects?  How long it took to work? Whatever you want to share, I want to hear.  I want to stick it out at least a month on the Prozac, but now that my gastritis is gone I am considering asking to be switched back to Zoloft--only because I have read that Prozac can increase anxiety even after the initial side effect period has passed. 
Bookmark and Share
~I have found intelligence and success to be hazardous~

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Prozac experiences?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:28 PM »
Immediately on Prozac, I had the energy to get things done--like clean my apartment, cook, do my schoolwork, etc.  Even though I felt very down,  Prozac gave me the energy to get up and do at least some things.  Again, this gave me faith that Prozac would be a good medication for me.

Prozac (fluoxetine) is the most stimulating of the SSRIs which can make it a great antidepressant for depression, but sometimes less so for anxiety.

All of the first week--and I only started on 5mgs so it could I have been a placebo effect--I felt ok. "OK" was acceptable as I know these meds don't work overnight.  But, starting week 2 gastrointestinal side effects, insomnia, and other side effects began to kick in.  On day 14, I had to increase my dose to 10 mgs...and I have been taking .25-.5 mgs of Xanax for the last 4 days to help with my increased anxiety and insomnia.

It was almost certainly the placebo effect. Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in from the time you're on a therapeutic dose, which for Prozac is usually from 20mg. The side-effects you're experiencing are the more common ones for all the SSRIs.

Benzodiazepines are not good sleeping pills as tolerance to their sedation builds quickly, often within a couple of weeks. You'd probably do better on a small dose - 25-50mg - of trazodone (Desyrel) a sedating antidepressant. At doses below 150-225mg/day it only acts as an antihistamine so there won't be any drug-drug interaction with the Prozac (or Zoloft).

only because I have read that Prozac can increase anxiety even after the initial side effect period has passed.

The Prozac stimulation can disturb some with anxiety, however, there is no guarantee that Zoloft will be that much better. As a generalization, SSRIs are a little better at easing anxiety than depression and this also applies to Prozac. It is too early to know whether it is the right antidepressant for you, but it is as likely to be as any other.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: