Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling hopeless/afraid of seeking professional help  (Read 397 times)

Offline nina21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feeling hopeless/afraid of seeking professional help
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
I have diagnosed myself with social anxiety 5 years ago. My life is a disaster. anxiety has taken a toll of me. everything in life is so hopeless to me. i lost all my faith in things.  have no friends, social life. all i do is sleep,work,school, and eat. I dont know what to do. i'm so afraid of seeking for help. I hate it. i wish i was normal. Any advice for me? feel like im depressed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scb07d

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling hopeless/afraid of seeking professional help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
Maybe consider purchasing a self-help book, or a couple of them. Social Anxiety sucks, but plenty of people have it and manage to live meaningful lives. Unfortunately, professional help can only do so much. Accepting the feelings of anxiety and still putting one's self in social situations is what usually has to happen for people to get their life back on track. Seeing a professional can be helpful but you're likely to reach this same conclusion by the end of therapy. As for psychiatrists, they'll prescribe medication (an SSRI since benzos are more temporary usually) but who knows how helpful that will be.

You do sound depressed though if you say you're feeling hopeless. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed with social anxiety. I'd recommend getting a social anxiety self-help book of some kind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kyky89

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »
I think the fact that you are reaching out here is a move in the right direction! You recognize that you want things to be better and if going to a professional is too much right now, at least here you can gain some support until you are ready. In my personal opinion I feel that if your anxiety is unmanageable and depression is seeping in that you need to seek professional help. For me, denial that I am different and not "normal" kept me too long from living any sort of fulfilling life. The reason I especially would suggest you get help is that eventually it is possible that you will try to self medicate somehow or even become suicidal. These were the reasons I was forced to get the help I needed.

Yet another reason to seek professional help is that you may have diagnosed yourself with social anxiety, but there might be other unknown conditions that you are unaware of that are treatable!

I have given you my opinion for why you should go, but I suppose that wouldn't be totally helpful if you are too afraid to go in.. if I may ask, what is it that makes you afraid to seek help? Maybe talking to other people about their experiences with psychiatrists and therapists (etc..) may help ease some of that anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »
I totally agree with kyky.  I think you'd be doing yourself a tremendous service NY seeking out professional help.  If you're feeling too anxious about attending the appointment, express that concern over the phone.  Most likely the therapist has had clients who feel the same way.  There is nothing you can tell a therapist or psychiatrist that they probably haven't already heard.  Again, as kyky said, you need to figure out what exactly is making you afraid to seek help.  Then you can proceed from there.  Keep posting.  We are here for you!!
Bookmark and Share