Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Melanoma fear's back. Look at a picture of my mole in this thread.  (Read 540 times)

Offline jenkyleg

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Today when I was shaving I decided to take a look at one of my larger moles. It's a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser. Don't know why I checked. I just did. And what I found was kind of scary: it looked like there was a smaller black collection of dots next to the mole. Now, I THINK there's usually a hair there, and I usually shave over it...but this didn't really look like a hair or the remnants of one.

Behold, four photos of my mole.

The first two pictures were before I picked at it. The last two were after, so it's sort of irritated.

Does that look worrisome to you, or are those just hairs? Zoom in on the second picture...what the hell is with all those black dots? For reference, I've had this mole all my life and it's always had a couple hairs growing around it.

Thoughts? Talk me down. I'm in freakout mode again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aardvark

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Melanoma fear's back. Look at a picture of my mole in this thread.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
Doesn't look remotely cancerous to me. Melanomas have a particular look about them they appear messy, disorganised and generally rather disturbing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
I believe you, but what's up with the little black spots then? Could those be hairs that I shaved? It just looks so...out of place. Could it be new? I'm still scared of melanoma there.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »
Hey jenky,

Looks like the hundreds I have in my body and had checked by a dermatologist. He wasn't even remotely interested in them. I think the little black thing is a hair tbh. Melanomas are pretty obvious I think. Most people would never have even noticed the little black speck, but being hypos we make mountains out of mole hills.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline spacetime

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »
I also have a mole I am totally freaked out by, and am constantly battling melanoma anxiety.  I just try to remind myself that melanoma is just one of many skin conditions and is the rarest of the skin cancers.  Only a trained dermatologist really knows though, and I would recommend getting it checked out if you have any doubts.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
It may make you feel better to have a dermatologist look at it, rather than just speculating, as this brings
on more stress.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys.

marc: I've been in some awful insurance situations the past year, so I won't be able to get it looked at until I get a new job. Awful, but true. I guess I'll wait a week to see if anything changes. I sure hope it does.

michelle: I THINK it could be a hair, too. I know I've got hairs near that mole that I shave...I just don't know if these are the hairs or if they're something else.

spacetime: Have you gotten it checked out? What did the derm say?
Bookmark and Share

Offline adbukovsky

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Meditation is key.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »
I have a mole like that on my breast, but it's fine. I forgot the term for those type of moles that have dots like that, but trust me, it isn't melanoma or cancerous in the least.
Bookmark and Share
Find the calm you seek, within yourself.

Offline jenkyleg

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »
adbuskovsky, I guess I'm just worried because it seems like it could be part of the mole, which would make the whole thing asymmetrical, which is part of that whole ABCD thing you read so much about. I've had that mole for as long as I can remember, which I heard lessens your chance of cancer by a lot. Still...I feel apprehensive about it. I'm going to wait to see if it's hair of it's part of the mole before my next shave. My reasoning is, if it's a hair, it'll grow out and seem more apparent. If it's not a hair, it probably won't change much.

Also, some more on my insurance status: I'm a writer by trade, and with that comes all kinds of uncertainty regarding having a steady job. Currently, I'm a staff writer for a magazine, but we're a really small publication and the insurance is pretty awful to the point of being nonexistent. I don't know if you guys know much about writers, but...we don't make a lot of money even when we're paid as staff. For instance, for my area, I'm hovering right on top of the poverty line without insurance since it'd take too much out of my paycheck without providing me any real coverage regarding preventative stuff (checkups, drop-in visits, dermatological checks, etc.)

I have the possibility of landing a GREAT new job at a much larger magazine by early next week, which would mean I could have awesome health insurance by January, so...you can bet that if that's the case I'll get this checked out if I'm still worried.

But right now, you guys are great and I'm glad you're talking to me. Thanks a million. I mean it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:30:55 PM »
I would have a dermatologist biopsy it.  It looks like a dysplastic nevus.  I've had two that were mild and one that was the more serious.  The mild are not treated after the biopsy if they got clear margins. The 3rd type is removed in office but is a good sized incision just to make sure all cells are gotten. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: