Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hello everyone- new member introducing herself  (Read 83 times)

Offline Cuckoo8

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello everyone- new member introducing herself
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
Hi everyone!

I don't know how long I've truly been suffering from anxiety. I guess my earliest memories would date back to when I was around 12 years old (currently 25). Over the years, my anxiety has affected my ability to study and work. You don't do too well in college if you can't focus, right?

The most prominent symptom of my anxiety has without a doubt been hypochondria. Lymphoma, leukemia, melanoma, bowel cancer, liver cancer, osteosarcoma, brain tumor, you name it. I've "had" them all at one point or another. Like many others, I google all my symptoms and usually it turns out I have a fatal condition of some type. My current cause for worry is a "rash" on my legs. I think some of the spots I have are petechiae, some of them I know are not. My skin is very dry and I do tend to develop a similar rash every winter, but this time the spots are spread on a much larger surface area than what is normal for me.

Over the years the anxiety itself has caused quite a few physical symptoms itself. I have suffered from heartburn (and was immediately afraid I had cancer in my esophagus), tension neck which got so bad I got dizzy while watching TV (which made me suspect brain tumor), twitching of limbs while trying to fall asleep (brain tumor again), and the most scary one: a strange feeling in my head jolting me awake the second I was about to fall asleep. During a particularly stressful time I suffered from this symptom for weeks. It cleared out once I'd taken a nice, long summer vacation.

The anxiety usually tends to peak when I get stressed out. Unfortunately this tends to be when I should be focusing, like for example a couple of weeks before finals, so the beginning of December is always a somewhat more difficult of a time for me. I notice a random physical symptom (this time it was the rash), start fretting over it and can no longer focus. It's a vicious cycle. When I get like this, I get very anti-social and stop talking to people nearly altogether.

About 4 years ago I sook out professional help and now I still have one year of therapy left. It has helped me immensely and I've been either completely or nearly symptom free for months at a time. Since I started therapy I have become overall more social, I have made great new friends and I am more prone to contact my friends. I have had a few panic attacks under extreme stress, but I've become quite good at stopping the anxiety from taking over.

I look forward to reading your stories and discussing this sometimes debilitating condition.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello everyone- new member introducing herself
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:58 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone, We are very happy that you have found this forum. I am very happy that you aare getting your anxiety under control and that you are on the road to recovery.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello everyone- new member introducing herself
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 03:31:41 AM »
Hi Cuckoo,

Welcome to the forum.  It is great to have you as a member.  This is a wonderful place to get advice and support from people going through similar situations.  The members here are very helpful. It is nice to know we are not alone.

Feel free to explore the forum.  There are lots of useful topics to read.  Feel free to post and ask questions.  If you have specific concerns or questions start a topic in the appropriate section to get the best feedback. There is also a chat room for members 18 years and older that you can access once you have made three meaningful posts in the forum. 

Again welcome to our community.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Tags: