Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: More Cervical Cancer Worries  (Read 316 times)

Offline serendipityx2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
More Cervical Cancer Worries
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Hi I posted here a couple months ago about my spotting in between periods that started back in July. I was also having a few other symptoms like off and on burning, pain during sex and weird discharge. Well as I said in my last post the nurse found no signs of infection and said my pap came back normal, just showed inflammation. She said she was not at all concerned and it was absolutely nothing to worry about and to come back in a year.
Well the next month in November everything was still there and getting worse. So I made an appointment with a different doctor. He tested me for stds, and my thyroid and prolactin levels (which all came back normal), and told me I had a mixed yeast and bacterial infection.
He gave me meds for the infection, and told me overall my cervix looked fine even though it was bleeding a little and had discharge, but he said that was because of it was irritated due to infection. He also told me that the chances of my pap having missed cancer is extremely unlikely and that it usually presents with constant heavy bleeding.
So about four days after finishing the meds the spotting started again. And where in previous months it would only last for 1-3 days The spotting has already lasted for a week. It is very very light but still it is there and I have also had lower abdominal cramps too. Every once in a while I will get some slight burning too, but I don't really have any of the other symptoms I had before besides the spotting.
I plan on going back to the doctor but I don't have insurance so I have to get the money together to go again. I am a complete nervous wreck though. There is a voice in my head that keeps telling me they missed something horrible. This is really affecting my every day life to the point that I'm finding it really hard to function.
So has anyone had anything like this? Spotting every month and it wasn't cancer? I know that an inflamed cervix can cause spotting but I was under the impression that the inflammation would go away when the infections cleared up and that doesn't seem to be the case.
If anyone at all has any encouraging words I could sure use them right now, because I'm in a really dark place. Thanks so much for reading this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: More Cervical Cancer Worries
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
Are you on birth control by any chance?
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline serendipityx2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »
No I am not.
Bookmark and Share

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 04:40:48 PM »
Spotting is really common.  When was your last pap smear?  I've had an abnormal pap before, but I was reassured that cervical cancer usually takes YEARS to develop after an abnormal pap, it's the reason why pap smears are so effective at monitoring and preventing cervical cancer in the first place.  It was more common when pap smears were not common procedure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
Okay, my story is a bit different, but I've been in the CC terror boat, so here goes:

I was on the pill, and I had been for a year. It made me quit having my periods, which is a typical result of that certain type of pill, so that was no big deal. That was until a few months ago when I suddenly started getting "periods" again. They were spaced about 2 weeks apart, and I got them continually. I say "periods" because I'm not sure what was my actual cycle, what was breakthrough, what anything was. It was just so sporadic. I also would get on and off weird discharge. I didn't do anything about because like said, it was on and off, not constant. Eventually I decided to go ahead and call my GYN because I was due for my annual anyways. Upon calling, I was told that last year my pap had come back abnormal and LSIL and that they had tried contacting me about it (WHAAAAT??? Also why did they never try calling???). So this freaked me out. Instantly all of the bleeding and discharge (and lower back pains as well) added up in my mind and I was sure it was CC. I was mortified. I couldn't eat or sleep.

So I went to my appointment. The doctor was super calm about it. Said the bleeding was probably just that my body wasn't responding as well to the hormone level of the birth control and the bleeding was that. He did my pap and sent me on my way. The next day, I had spotting. Normal after a pap, I know, but it cleared up and the next day I started getting heavy bleeding. I freaked out. I called the nurse, and she said because I was stressed out it was probably just that my period had come early especially since it was so irregular anyways. I went with that, but after a few days, I got really bizzare-o discharge, flipped my lid, ran to the ER. ER doctor told me that everything was due to a triply whammy: yeast infection, BV, and UTI. Don't know how my GYN missed that just a week earlier, but apparently I caused it through stress - which can make all of that go crazy.

I took all of my meds as prescribed and the wonky bleeding and discharge halted. At least I thought. A few days after I quit taking the meds, spotting again that got heavier and heavier. I flipped once again, still thinking it was surely CC, and ran to the ER. The doc said that the bleeding seemed to just be menstrual and attributed it to the BC just like my GYN, he said that the infection wasn't all the way gone and they needed to do a wider spread of antibiotics. They also did an ultrasound which didn't turn up anything.

So I left with my antibiotics and went back home to lie in bed and dread that they still missed something. I got a call from my GYN to let me know that my last PAP had come back as normal so no further action was necessary. I quit taking the BC and the bleeding has stopped. I have a followup on Wednesday to make sure that everything is totally good to go.

But yeah, so my situation was a bit different, but I know that fear. I don't have insurance either, and I know how frustrating that can be.

I can tell you that I've heard plenty of times, from my GYN included, that as we get older our bodies change and that can cause our cycles to go wonky. Tons of things can: stress, diet, weight change, etc.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline PennyPanic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:00:08 PM »
Yes, I"ve had tons of spotting, but I've always had irregular periods. I would have talk with your doc and have him check your hormone levels...something just could be a bit "off" and causing the spotting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
Very likely a hormone issue and not a cervical one. Rarely a blood clotting problem but doubtful unless you're experiencing other symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline serendipityx2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
Skleep, my last pap was done at the end of October. I was told that it showed my cervix was inflamed but was otherwise normal and to come back in a year.

Stephtronic, thank you so much for sharing your story. It does help to hear that you went through something similar even if it is not exactly the same and that you are fine. And yes not having insurance is the absolute worst!

Ancient Melody and PennyPanic, when all of this first started six months ago I truly thought it was going to end up being a hormone issue because the spotting always started on the 18th day of my cycle every month and would only last for a day or two, but the last two months it's been lasting for about a week and this month it came on a different day of my cycle.

Also the doctor did check my thyroid and prolactin and both came back normal. Would my prolactin have come back normal if I was having a hormone problem? Or is it possible that other hormones could be off even if that one was normal?

I don't really know what to think anymore. I definitely have an abnormal discharge right now. Yesterday the spotting stopped and TMI... was replaced by a yellow snot like discharge...sorry I know that is really gross. And the discharge is really irritating causing a burning itching feeling. So I don't know if I still have the BV and/or yeast infection and they didn't go away or if it is just discharge from my inflamed cervix. But if it was BV or yeast it would be constant discharge and irritation right? Because today there isn't much discharge so there really isn't any irritation.

I just can't stand any of this anymore. And I really hate that I'm letting this ruin my holiday season, but I just can't seem to get my anxiety in check.
Bookmark and Share

Offline serendipityx2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
Uhg...Now I'm spotting bright red. I can't take this anymore. I feel like I'm trapped in a nightmare.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaphneNL

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
Well, I experienced the exact same thing this year. It started with an itch in february and it ended suddenly in september. I also had a combination of yeast and bacteria. I had a pap smear in august and it kept bleeding for four days (not something you make someone with HA very happy with). It also came back normal. I don't know about the USA, but here in the Netherlands a PAP1 means there's only a chance of 0,001% they missed "bad" cells.
I really tried every freaking medicine for the yeast and bacterial horror. Name one, I had it. The infection really makes you sore inside, so you will bleed so easily. I still have to shower almost directly after having sex, cleaning everything with handwarm water.
Things that made things worse; all kinds of douches. Douches are not common in the Netherlands, because they often do more bad than good. And I now know for sure that the "inside area" has to take care of itself indeed.  :sick0002:  Ice packs and other "cold" things. No thanks.
Things that improved my problems; honeysalves. The pure ones. They contain strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal ingrediŽnts. I also started to wear only 100% cotton underwear. You have some great cotton underwear these days! And you can wash them really hot, making sure the bacteria and fungus gets killed. I never liked thongs anyway, but I know you shouldn't wear them when you have some problems down there.
Things that didn't make it worse or better: Parfum free laundry detergent. I still use it for my underwear, just to be sure, but I don't think it made the difference. Eating less sugar and yeast also did nothing for me.

My advice, try to not stress too much about it. Stress can increase the amount of glucose in your blood, and that feeds the fungus and bacteria, making it hard for you to heal. Keep yourself clean using only water. Wash your underwear and towels as hot as possible. And maybe the honey salve can work for you?
Please don't think you have a bad disease. These kind of problems sometimes just happen to us women. I know it can make you go insane. I almost decided to place my bed in the doctors office. But you will be alright!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: