Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Typical waiting period you should give medication to work?  (Read 237 times)

Offline butterflybandage

• "Fall seven times, stand up eight."
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Typical waiting period you should give medication to work?
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:22:15 PM »
How long does an increase in an SSRI (specifically Zoloft) take to work? I've been on Zoloft for about 6 years, and I recently upped it to 75mg, and then we upped it to 100mg about a week and a half ago. I'm still experiencing obsessive thoughts and derealization and over-thinking, and I'm just getting real nervous that it won't ever leave. My question is, anyone who has had any success with any SSRI, how long did it take to work? And what was your whole experience getting used to it like? Thank you all so much!   :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.'"

Online insights

• Rec's: 67
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Typical waiting period you should give medication to work?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:08:25 PM »
My question is, anyone who has had any success with any SSRI, how long did it take to work?

Dose increases usually don't take as long to kick-in as when first taking an antidepressant, but it may still take 3-6 weeks. Antidepressants work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells and improving the connections between them and this takes time.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: ssri zoloft