Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Almost housebound  (Read 282 times)

Offline mta214

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Almost housebound
« on: December 07, 2013, 04:23:02 AM »
My anxiety seems like it's getting worse!!  Twice this week I had to cancel appointments simply because I was so anxious I couldn't get myself to them.  For one of them, I had asked a friend to take me, but he couldn't, and the other appointment was with my therapist.  Luckily, she was willing to do a phone session with me, which did help.  But she was very concerned yesterday because my anxiety level was a 10!  She tried to get me to go to the hospital ER but I didn't think that would help.  I'm currently taking buspar, but it doesn't seem to help.  I see my NP on Monday.

Does anyone else have trouble leaving the house, and if so, do you push through those difficult times, or do you just accept that some days are easier than others?  I am feeling very much like a loser because I couldn't do something as simple as getting to my appointments, which is only making things worse.    My therapist has repeatedly said this is a med issue, but I hate to give meds so much power.  Is that wrong?  Any input/ suggestions would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
Re: Almost housebound
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:27:50 AM »
I went through an agoraphobic stage myself once too, and it's not a place you want to be. While you need to have some self-compassion and forgive yourself for the times this week where you felt too anxious to go, which is OK, know that in recoiling in fear of going you've kinda been positively reinforcing that 'home' is safe vs anywhere else. That's a false belief and a bit of a slippery slope setting itself up there. You need to keep making an effort to go. No matter how you feel .. get up, dress up and show up because the more you avoid, the more you avoid.

Are you able to go when you don't have an appointment? What happens if you make the same trip without any pressure of a prior commitment? 

I can't say if it's a meds issue as I've never really used any even for the worst times years ago. All I know is that they might take a while to work.
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
Thanks for your reply, fearnot. To answer your question, it's been getting harder and harder in general to leave the house.  I definitely agree with you, though, that I cannot continue to give into that feeling.

I'm not sure the meds are helping, and I've tried quite a few of them.  I'm going to speak to my NP about that next week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fearnot

• Rec's: 3
  • eatawayanxiety(dot)com
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 08:31:39 AM »
You could try to set yourself little errands. To go get milk, a magazine, a flower.. whatever. But things that you enjoy or like. Each time you go out, you bring back something that is a show of your accomplishment, so you can look over them and know you actually did it even as hard as it was.
Bookmark and Share
eatawayanxiety(dot)com - eat away what's been eating you

Offline mta214

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
That's a really good idea, fearnot!  I like the idea of a small reward.  I will try that.  Thank you! :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jmac86

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
I have the same problem. I can go out but I stopped driving bc I get really dizzy and lighthead n anxious when I drive and I used to love drivibg. I know what its like to get all ready to go and the minute u think of leaving the house and the what ifs everything changes. I lost somany friends from it and cut my self off. The best tthing to do is to talk to yourself. Tell yourself u can do it. I took myself off meds a lil less than a yr ago I want to fight this on my own. It is so hard but talk to your self and tell yourself you can do it. I know it is so hard but you can do it
Bookmark and Share

Tags: