Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Chronic nerve ending pain in my legs - need to vent- so demoralizing  (Read 173 times)

Offline greend

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I've posted before, but I really need to do so again.  The pain is fairly bad today.  As some of you know I've had this prickly feeling in the skin of both legs, almost like it's the surface of the muscle or just under the skin.  It moves around my legs. Sometimes it isn't too bad and other times it's really irritating.  I find heat helps a bit. This is the third bout I've had in 9 years.  It first started one day when I hurt my back working out and I also got a really bad flu, so I don't know if either of these things has any relevance.

I've been test thoroughly - had brain, thoracic spine, lumbar spine and cervical spine MRI's, nerve tests, muscle/nerve tests, blood tests, Lyme disease test and so on.  Everything has come back normal except I do have a herniation in one of the discs in my lower back.  I been to two neurologist on 3 different occasions. My own doctor thought at first that it might be anxiety.  Now  he thinks it's my lower back.

Regardless, it is driving me nuts.  I try reading self help books, exercise etc.. to no avail.  If anyone can relate or has anything positive to say I'd love to hear it.  Thanks for reading this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kj94702

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chronic nerve ending pain in my legs - need to vent- so demoralizing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:48 PM »
Hey Greend,
Sucks to be in pain. Part of the problem with an anxiety diagnosis is that we are forced to believe that we (and our own way of thinking) is the problem. This may not always be the case.

I happen to think that a lot of us struggle with symptoms that emerge independent of our anxiety. For you, it may be a herniated disc. For others, it may be nutritional deficiencies, compressed nerves or fleeting viral infections. The problem is that we all suffer from anxiety. This makes our physical symptoms exponentially worse. We end up imagining wheelchairs or coffins in near our future and we typically give in to a sense of hopelessness. So now, in addition to having tingling, aching, burning, migraines or whatever, we have to deal with panic and depression. Not a good deal.

I wish I could help you figure out what is going on. Unfortunately, I cannot. What I can tell you confidently, however, is that this moment of pain and panic will pass. You have been through this before and come out clear on the other side. It may be hard to see now but you will. The doctors have ruled out progressive illnesses and nefarious diseases so you should feel confident that the drivers of your current pain are not going to kill you or ruin your life.

I hope things start turning around for you soon...
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »
Kj, thank you for your thoughtful response.  I agree, I do let anxiety get the best of me, but I am really tired of discomfort.  Not fun!
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 12:32:58 PM »
Help. Anyone else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend