Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: DVT fear...thinking of going to the ER  (Read 225 times)

Offline sickofsickness

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
DVT fear...thinking of going to the ER
« on: December 06, 2013, 06:51:16 PM »
Hey everyone.

I'm convinced that I have DVT and am debating whether or not I want to walk to the ER across the street. For the past 2 days I've been experiencing debilitating pain behind my knee where it bends (that radiates up to my thigh, but is mainly behind the knee). The pain is much worse with movement --- I can't walk without dragging my feet. There is no swelling or redness that I can see at the moment, though I do have a bright blue vein sticking out in the area where the pain is (keep in mind I have dark skin). I constantly feel like I'm being stabbed it it's SO PAINFUL, and I'm really scared it's DVT, which I know can get serious in a hurry. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm I stalling, should I just go to the ER. The pain is seriously unbearable.
Bookmark and Share

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 202
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: DVT fear...thinking of going to the ER
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
If pain is truly unbearable, then yes, see a doctor. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mrsbell

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
You know you won't feel better unless you go... I thought I had a DVT a few years back.  I went to the ER, nothing wrong, and within an hour of leaving the pain went away for good.  Let us know how you're doing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 09:24:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I can't really afford an ER visit right now, and given the absence of the more serious symptoms (SOB, swelling, etc) so I decided to wait and go to urgent care tomorrow. The pain is still bad, but no longer unbearable. I've wrapped my knee up in an ACE bandage, which was helped greatly.

Of course if the symptoms worsen, I will no doubt go to the ER (which I can see from my window, not even a 5 minute walk). I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline summer17

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »
Did you do anything recently that would put you at risk for DVT? For example were you sick and laid up in bed or did you fly in an airplane recently? I've had this fear several times, both times after I'd been on a long flight which I knew was a risk for DVT. Both times it turned out to be nothing. But I agree with other commenters, if it's really hurting you and you're worried, just get it checked.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:53:54 PM »
Did you do anything recently that would put you at risk for DVT? For example were you sick and laid up in bed or did you fly in an airplane recently? I've had this fear several times, both times after I'd been on a long flight which I knew was a risk for DVT. Both times it turned out to be nothing. But I agree with other commenters, if it's really hurting you and you're worried, just get it checked.
No. No long flights, no long illnesses, no family history that I know of, I'm not on birth control, etc. But I'm pretty concerned, and will definitely see urgent care for it tomorrow (unless it worsens and I decide to go out tonight).
Bookmark and Share

Tags: