Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Blood test questions  (Read 215 times)

Offline Joey8924

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood test questions
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:09:50 PM »
How accurate are blood tests? Does wait time mean anything? I ask this because I go to this new walk in clinic in my area that claims to have state of the art testing machinery. When I get blood tests there I get results within 15 mins whereas I go to my regular physician and I need to go to a lab and get blood taken there and wait 2 days for results. Does this mean anything?

I had blood tests done at the clinic a few days ago and was tested for everything and was told everything is normal. Now I'm starting to question this only because this past summer I got really sick with what I was convinced was a sinus infection because of all the symptoms I was experiencing and I went there for blood tests and they told me I had a bacterial infection.

So any help would be great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JenBNimble

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood test questions
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
Sinus infections can be viral or bacterial (or even fungal). So did you have a bacterial sinus infection?

Blood tests can vary in how accurate they are based on the different tests. If you're being tested for something specific (pregnancy, HIV, food allergies, whatever) your doctor should be able to tell you the rates of false positive and false negative for that particular test. I don't know about the margin of error for the different components of a CBC. If you're concerned about the test's accuracy, I would just ask the doctor for more information.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Joey8924

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
Thanks for responding. I guess it's possible I did have a bacterial sinus infection since I was given meds to take for 12 days and it did clear up. Its just that it was weird when a year ago I went in for the flu and I got blood taken and that too came back as a bacterial infection. I didn't see those tests though. That doctor seemed like he was keeping them top secret. Very odd.

I wasn't tested for anything specific. My main point in wanting to get these blood tests done was to make sure my blood counts were normal. I wanted to find this out because a family friend of ours recently got diagnosed with leukemia and it's acute. My mom said her friend was fine a month ago and now she's receiving 2 rounds of chemo a day. Very fast growing cancer. And very scary. I guess the thought of someone being fine and now fighting for their life scared me into wanting to get myself checked.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
Wait time doesn't mean anything - it just depends on where you get the blood test done. For example, if you get it done at a hospital where they have a lab in house, you'll get the results a lot sooner than at a physician's office that doesn't have a full lab and has to send the sample out. I got blood tests done today at my doctor's office and won't get the results until Wednesday because they send the samples out to the regional Quest office.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Joey8924

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »
Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if the results being instant meant that they weren't as accurate since it's more rushed. But I never thought of the hospital example you give. Of course my mind is working overtime thinking the worst... Wish I could turn it off
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
Just think - they get blood test results back super quick in the ER, and those have to be super accurate because life saving decisions are made off of them. So, the time it takes definitely doesn't change the accuracy!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
The analysis results should be the same regardless of the wait time - only difference is whether you're getting the blood drawn at the same place where they actually do the analysis or if you're getting the blood drawn at a "collection" location which is then sent somewhere else for the actual analysis.

Also, some doctors won't let the blood place give you results directly - they want to do it themselves for whatever reason.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: