Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: base of skull sharp pains, throbbing- anxiety related?  (Read 234 times)

Offline nate1028

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
base of skull sharp pains, throbbing- anxiety related?
« on: December 05, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »
Hey all! I have been having some strange muscle spasms/headaches/tendon? issues lately and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. 

For the past week or so, I am having sharp, stabbing and tender pain right at the top of my neck/base of my skull. When my neck is "charlie horsing" so to speak, or rather, cramping, their is an extremely tender spot that I can rub. I might also mention this is only one sided and it is not right on the spine, but a couple inches over in the soft depression right below the base of the skull.  Sometimes I have no tender spot, no spasms,stabbing pain going on. 

What sets it off? Well maybe posture sometimes. I know that when I am laying down, reclining the pain is much less, or is not triggered most of the time.  When I am sitting at the computer, or looking down , or bending over, the sharp pains will come on, the tender spot comes back, and it even throbs off and on. Massaging the tender spot and areas around that sometimes will completely stop the spasming fit that started.  I do not have numbness, tingling, or anything like that.   

I went to the doctor and my doc was not too worried, and gave me muscle relaxer (bacofen 10 mg x 2  a day). I called in a panic yesterday saying I didn't think it was helping (actually I am not sure, it may be helping at least sometimes) and they are still not alarmed. Told me this might last a couple weeks, and that I could take 3 muscle relaxer pills a day and that to give it time to work. 

On top of all of this, I have a friend who claims she had the same thing going on for a couple weeks, so also maybe it is a virus manifesting like this and inflaming nerves/tendons/muscles? 

I can also say that I did get an adjustment done yesterday to my back and neck and this did not seem to help things. 
My mind is going where it should not be right now, thinking tumors, blood clots, aneurysms, and the one thing that is keeping me thinking that maybe it is just tendons/muscles, is the fact that massaging the extremely painful area does bring temporary, though brief relief. 

My doc did also say maybe I should take some of my ativan to relieve my anxiety right now, suggesting maybe it would also help my spasms/headache. 

Any words of wisdom or thoughts from others with like symptoms? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: base of skull sharp pains, throbbing- anxiety related?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
That's a tension headache. They suck, but arent dangerous. As the name suggestions, stress can make it worse. Anxiety and illness or just poor sleeping can make it really bad. When I get them, I use anti-inflammatory medicines for short term relief. No one thing sets them off, but a series of things over time will make it get worse and worse until the pain becomes hard to not notice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JER2911

• Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  • Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »
I have been having this EXACT same thing going on for about 3 weeks now.  It is in the EXACT same spot.  I am having the EXACT same sensations..

What I've realized is, it's defintley related to tension in the neck and shoulders.  There are a ton of muscles in the location in the back of the head near the bottom. 

I don't know about you, but I KNOW that I clench my jaw A LOT.  This puts TONS of pressure on the head/neck/jaw area.  These muscles are just really tight and are having spasms.

I get the VERY tender spots too.  It really hurts to rub them at first, but if you can bare it for a minute or two, it will start to help some.

Something else that helped me was putting an ice pack on the area for about twenty minutes.   I also have a hot tub and I sat in it for a while.

And last but not least, I have been taking Aleve...which I think is helping with inflammation in the muscle. 

I'm trying to be real careful about how I set at the computer.  I am not looking down at my phone to text at all.  I hold it straight up in front of my face (looks weird, but I don't care)..lol

So far, I've had some relief using all these measures.  But, if I do anything to aggravate it (clenching my jaw, texting, computer, sleeping weird, being stressed in general)...it comes back. 

So, long story short... It's tension in your head/neck muscles.  Take your meds for pain/inflammation, use heat/ice for 20 minutes or so, try not to clench or grind teeth, don't look down at your phone, be mindful of posture. :)
Bookmark and Share
Matthew 6:27  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:23:59 PM »
The exact same thing would happen/happens to me all of the time, and I know it's anxiety related for me because I'll notice that I've been clenching my teeth and tapping my foot. As soon as I calm myself down for a while, it seems to go away. Of course, I didn't come up with that explanation myself. I actually had a lot of ache going on at that exact spot a few months ago, and I started prodding around and thought I felt a bump. Rushed to the Urgent Care and spent $150 to have the doc tell me that the bump was just my vertebrae and the ache was because of tension from stress/clenching my teeth. I realize that he's right, now. :sick0002:

(Mine could also be posture related, too... I spend most of my day lying down, so when I actually sit up and notice these pains, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.)
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline nate1028

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
ok this makes me feel better, and helps me realize I am not crazy. Feel free to keep replying, the more the merrier to boost my confidence that I am not the only one!  ;*) Thanks everyone that has replied, really appreciate your care, concern, and feedback! I am new to this forum, but am loving it!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: