Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What effect can anxiety have on vision?  (Read 293 times)

Offline raynepain

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What effect can anxiety have on vision?
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Hey everyone, started an intro thread in the relevant section, came here to ask my question.

Have suffered from panic attacks/GAD/depression/OCD for a number of years. Was doing well enough I came off my meds for 6 months. Depression/hypochondria started to come back, so I decided to start on 20 mg of Prozac (had taken it 7 years for ocd) after having taken zoloft for 4-5 years (made me too tired/bad sex).

Started Prozac on the 25th and have been having panic attacks/GAD over vision issues lately, On the 26th it was about thinking I felt a pressure behind my eye, which lead to focusing on my eyes and panic attacks over the course of the week. On Monday, after thinking about my eyes all day, I thought the white board looked fuzzy/splotchy(?)/and a little difficult to focus. Since I was not used to that panic symptom, I have been ruminating on it for the last few days pretty constantly.

My vision was checked 4 months ago at the eye doctor, and she said everything was perfect, so I'm pretty sure it's just me focusing on it and looking for vision symptoms likely caused by anxiety. I can still see everything in detail, and there are periods with no symptoms which make me pretty sure it's just focusing on the anxiety symptoms. It's just hard to explain the visual issues that I'm sometimes having.

I just want it to go away, but as I keep focusing on it, I think it will take a while. Earlier today I had MS, palinopsia, occular migraines, lyme disease, and macular degeneration. Wonder what it will be tomorrow?  :P

Does this all sound like anxiety? Maybe an issue with prozac (side-effect or maybe just causing an increase in anxiety?)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What effect can anxiety have on vision?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
i'm having the same sort of vision symptoms and they're pretty much all i focus on when they're present. but during the times i'm at home and feeling calm, i don't focus on them at all and they're not even there, which makes me think it really is just anxiety and lots of tension. i had an eye exam as well and the doc told me my eyes were perfectly fine, which shocked the hell out of me since i was convinced he'd find some weird tumor or some sign of MS or this and that.

i do notice that the vision symptoms are worse when i'm in public, where i'm more prone to being anxious since i'm worried i'm going to get sick or drop dead in front of a bunch of people. it's like focusing on things becomes difficult and my eyes get sensitive to light and movement, with a strange feeling of pressure behind both eyes. but once i'm away from the stressful situation, the symptoms are better, sometimes even go away completely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pingman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »
I am having the exact same thing with my vision right now. My initial freak out was over my leg tingling so I was sure I had MS. ONce my leg got better I started having head pressure and eye issues....so I think about it constantly.

When I am working I have no issues but I am focused on work I suspect. Today, had a eye exam with optic nerve images and I was all clean.

I came home tonight and well......lost it. I cried for the first time in 10 years in front of my wife. I was just sick of feeling fearful all day for the last month. I was fine a month ago and HA has taken hold.

Guess what.....after I cried, my vision issues went away for a good two hours. And guess what....now that I am back on the forum it is coming back..pressure in my head.

Its all pent up anger and stress....and wherever you choose to manifest it through it will show. When I run my leg feels good until later when I focus on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Medic Manders

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:41:02 PM »
I had the same thing while driving yesterday!! I thought the sky was "moving" like bubbling while I was driving and I couldn't focus.... once I convinced myself it was anxiety, it went away, but then BANG... driving along and my heart was racing, felt like I couldn't breathe, and palms sweating.... it's amazing what this evil little anxiety monster can do to our bodies!!! I want to evict my monster as soon as possible..... :)  I don't know what else it could be, but I doubt that it is any of the diseases you had listed.... only one I could imagine is an ocular migraine.... I had this once and freaked out!!!! My mom works for an eye doctor and again I was driving when it happened... it started as a dark spot in my vision, like I looked into a bright light.... then all of a sudden, I cant focus, my peripheral vision is doing all this bouncy shining flashing lights... by the time I got to my mom's office, I was crying and in a full blown panic attack, SURE I had a brain tumor... until they both laughed at me and told me it was harmless, and most people get at least one in their life.... Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon!!!! :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: