Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Grandfather had to get pacemaker.. please someone help me  (Read 160 times)

Offline soccerash21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Grandfather had to get pacemaker.. please someone help me
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:43:57 PM »
Hi guys,

I haven't been on here in a while, and I've been doing really good controlling my HA. But this week, it's been out of control. Here's what's going on;

Last year, my Grandfather started having these weird fainting spells. It would only happen when he would go to bed and was asleep. My Grandmother would wake up from him making these weird noises, and what seemed like he was gasping for air. He went in to numerous doctors and had multiple tests done, and was told they couldn't find anything. Finally, after it kept happening, they put in this device that would basically tell what had happened if he had another one. He had that put in in May, and up until last week he hadn't had another one. Last Sunday, it happened again, so my Grandmother got this control thing that I guess they were supposed to put up to his chest where the device is to send whatever was happening over to his doctors so they could look at the results. It turns out, they said his heart was basically skipping beats because his blood pressure or heart rate (i can't remember which) was dropping too low, which was apparently causing him to sort of faint or passout, and make him forget what had even happened. After a few minutes, I guess he snaps out of it and is fine. They went into his doctor because she said he needed to get in immediately and have a pacemaker put in to help with whatever was happening. While they were putting in the pacemaker, it happened again, and it also happened when he returned home. However, he said that when it happened after having the pacemaker put in, what normally happens didn't happen and I guess the pacemaker sent whatever it needed to his heart to prevent it from happening. Other then this, he has been very healthy and hasn't had a history of any problems. I am super terrified that there is something underlying wrong with him, and that they just can't find it. I am very close with him, but I unfortunately live in California, and he, along with the rest of my family, is in the Midwest. So it makes it nearly impossible for me to feel better about it when I can't even be with him. I just don't understand why whatever is causing this to happen to him is happening, and why his doctors are just saying that the pacemaker is the solution, and no worries as to whats causing it. I'm almost 27, and have not had to deal with death in my family yet, (other then pets), which I am extremely grateful and thankful for. But now he is getting older, and it just scares me that this is happening to him. :( I apologize, I know this isn't really a HA problem, but I always have such great advice from everyone here that I just wanted to get on here and rant. Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone who is even just willing to listen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 152
    • Poke This Member
Re: Grandfather had to get pacemaker.. please someone help me
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »
My father had a pacemaker for over twenty years. That shows how long you can have them. People have had them even longer. It doesn't really mean much. Yes, my own father had heart problems. But he was a heavy drinker. Brought his own problems on. After he got the pacemaker it wasn't the end of life for him. Things could go on the way they used to go on. My own father's downfall was himself. His lifestyle. Others have lived long and happy lives with pacemakers. Millions of people have them. If you were to walk down town tomorrow you would probably pass about a thousand people with a pacemaker. Never know they even had them. I think your main worry might be age. No idea of your grandfather's age. But you do know people can't live forever. You are looking at him and his heart and thinking the worst thoughts you can. Heck the man might out live us all. Good story for you. My own late grandfather had cancer. The family were told to come to the hospital. He wouldn't survive the night. Ten years later the man was still alive. During those ten years an aunt and an uncle died. Jasus I would have easily bet on the grandfather going before the two that did. I thought this man was going to live forever. Just shows what we think and what can happen can be miles off. To be told he had under 25 hours to live and to live out another ten years. That my friend is life for you. We have no control over it. Instead of worrying about him dying, enjoy time with him. You don't want to look back years from now and say you spent years worrying about him, that you forgot to enjoy that time you should have been spending with him.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline kazoo

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
My grandfather also had a pacemaker for probably close to 20 years.  He lived to be 92.  The problem was that his heart rate was too slow, and so he would get dizzy.

How old is your grandfather?

If he is in good health other than the slow heart rate, a pacemaker might help him.  I'd hesitate to put one in if he is in poor health, either mentally or physically, or if he is very elderly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soccerash21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:25:53 PM »
Hi,

Thank you both so much for your responses- you both helped make me feel much better =)

He is between 75 and 77.. now I feel like a terrible granddaughter because I don't know his exact age  :sprachlos020:

I know he is definitely under 80. He has had a history of low blood pressure I guess, and he took medication for that for years. But other then that, that is all that has been wrong with him.

I think having this happen to him definitely made me freak out and put my mind in overload. I know he is getting older, and I also know that people can't live forever. I've just been so lucky that I haven't had to deal with family death yet, and now that I'm almost 27, I know the time will most likely be approaching in the future, which really scares me. It also sucks that I live so far away, but I just got married at the end of October and we had our wedding back in Illinois where all of our family is, so I as very blessed to be able to have my Grandparents attend my wedding, as that was something that I always wanted. I had my Grandfather walk me down the aisle with my dad and it was one of the best moments of my life. Now I'm rambling, sorry!

Anyways, thank you again from the bottom of my heart for helping keep me sane :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: