Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: does this sound like an OCD obsession to you?  (Read 218 times)

Offline Rose~

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • ~Fear is the only thing that can hold you back~
    • Poke This Member
does this sound like an OCD obsession to you?
« on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:56 PM »
I suffer from Health Anxiety, so thoughts of being ill are always on my mind. But I also suffer from OCD as well, the kind where you touch or do things until it feels right, or do mental rituals to ward off bad things. My HA and OCD feed off each other, basically my OCD now revolves around my health worries. Like, "do this ritual or else you will have heart troubles" (my HA revolves around heart troubles). What I was wondering though, that I had never really thought about before is, could most of it be OCD? What I mean is, every single day since my HA worries started 3 months ago, I have constant "what if I drop dead from cardiac problems right now" "what if I am about to die right now" etc. Which put me in a panic. I had always passed these off as part of HA, but it actually would make sense if they were OCD related. Maybe a Pure O? Because these thoughts dont cause me to do rituals, they just come all day without invitation, like my mind is stuck on that thought. It is the "do this or die" thoughts that make me ritualise. What do you think? Sound like an OCD obsession to you? How do I get rid of it? It has been going on constantly for 3 months now and is terrifying. I am reminded everyday many times that I could die. Its taking over! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :)
Bookmark and Share
"I'm happy about who and what I am, and I can't wait to find out who I'll be tomorrow."- Joyce DeWitt <3

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 73
    • Poke This Member
Re: does this sound like an OCD obsession to you?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 07:36:52 AM »
Yes, I'd say this is OCD and you can help yourself by either seeing a therapist who may opt for some meds, or decide to actively fight this nonsense in your head. You can learn about CBT and its components of exercise, journaling, meditation.

It is not quick and easy to recondition your mind, but can be done with patience, determination and persistence. We are here to support you, encourage you, and help as best we can.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: