Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: After a panic attack, how quickly do you 'recover'?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline patagonia816

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
After a panic attack, how quickly do you 'recover'?
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
I had two big attacks about 7 days apart...and after each attack it felt as though it took several days for me to feel completely symptom free. For example, two days after an attack, it felt like I couldn't speak very much without feeling like I was losing my air....I felt like a balloon that was being slowly deflated. Also, my heart will a bit too fast when I walk up stairs. And I also get intermittent tightening sensations in my throat and chest. This symptoms will persist 2-3 days after a big attack.

Does anyone else experience this? I'm losing my mind. I am talking to a doc tomorrow about medicine. I also plan to eat a clean, raw diet and try yoga for a while.
Bookmark and Share
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Offline Rae Rae

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: After a panic attack, how quickly do you 'recover'?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
Before or after an attack you can still be "anxious." That is typical anxiety.. You don't have to only get panic attacks to have Anxiety, so it makes sense but everyone is different.
Bookmark and Share
"The secret of life isn't what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
Minutes. My panic attacks are... different. They are explosive, last for an hour or two where i think im giong to choke, pass out or die every moment, and then utterly vanish. And then I have another a few hours later, and it does the same thing. Between the attacks I rarely have any major anxiety at all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline laineymom

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »
I think it's different for everyone but I'm like you- I'd have a panic attack that would build and get really bad, then wane some then had general anxiety after for several days, then a few good days, then a bad day again...until the meds kicked in. Now I'm doing better most days.

Bookmark and Share

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
Can anyone make a solid med recommendation? This is the third big one I've had over the past 10-12 days. I'm starting to fear I have panic disorder. Had one this afternoon. I was fine...doing a little Christmas crafts and then I felt it coming in...slowly. It's been 4 hrs now...I feel functional but if someone were to attempt a conversation with me, I'd have to speak softly and slowly. I can muster up a few sentences in a normal speaking tone, but then I feel like I'm losing a little air...like the supply 'I had' in my lungs has been a little depleted. Does that make sense? I'm guessing by tomorrow morning I feel 'normal' again. Until the next one rolls in. One thing I always do is focus on clean, calculated breathes and I do a little neck roll...like what you'd do before you exercise. I also think of a beach at sunset. I think it helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
so you are worried over the possibility of having a panic disorder?

Thats unfortunate, because once you start getting panicked over the thought of having a panic disorder, you have a panic disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Artemissive

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 01:05:41 AM »
My first (and longest) panic attack lasted 12 hours... I threw myself into a completely horrible place of thinking that I was dying/was dead.

Usually panic attacks will last for about an hour for me... and it can take me a long time to recover if it's an especially bad one. I think it's highly dependent on the individual. There are definitely things that help and things that don't.

I know that breathing exercises used to make things worse for me until I found the right one. Mindfulness meditation is helpful, and medication has been extremely helpful (I refused to take it for a few years and once I caved was glad).

<3 I hope your doctors appointment goes well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rae Rae

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 05:37:42 PM »
That's very strange because I have never had an attack that lasted HOURS... the longest I've ever had was probably like 10 minutes. You can have anxiety SYMPTOMS for hours or days.. I've had that before, but not an actual attack.
Bookmark and Share
"The secret of life isn't what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

Offline Always@night

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:07:15 PM »
I'm still kind of new to Anxiety.  It just exploded on me last week with a full blown panic attack.  Since then I've felt anxious, like my heart is leaping out of my chest, and my breathing gets off and I get light headed.  I had another full blown attack that lasted about 2 hours last night and I actually ended up calling 911 because my whole body was cramping up to where I could not use my muscles from hyperventalating.  It was extremely scary.  But since my first attack, I have not really felt my normal self again... 
Bookmark and Share

Offline patagonia816

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
Things got out of hand for me right before Thanksgiving. I had an upper respiratory thing going on and I think I have exercise-induced asthma. So I took a shower for the steam and when I got out it hit me. I couldn't tell if I was having a panic or asthma attack so I panicked even more and my breathing became awful. Since that time I have been having problems...whether they are related to actual panic, asthma, or both, they are happening to me almost daily. Last night wasn't good for me at all. I had to suddenly keep clearing my throat and from there panic set in. My throat felt tight and hot, as did my upper chest, I was shakey and my palms became sweaty. When I got to the e.r. I could barely talk....except in a very low tone. Otherwise full on talking would have made me feel worse. I suddenly felt claustrophobic in the hospital hallway and felt like I was going to pass out. Told doc I was there 5 days prior and diagnosed w/ bronchitis and that I had been having panic attacks. Well, there only real concern was making sure I could actually breathe...and I was b/c my oxygen level was at 99, but I was also wheezing. They gave me a breathing treatment which really seemed to open things up and make me feel good, but I was still having symptoms of anxiety. Whoozy when standing, pressure in chest...facial twitching. I am finally caving and going to see my doctor tomorrow to talk about treatment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 09:06:36 PM »
Sometimes it's gone within minutes and other times much longer.i wish there was an off button on anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
I agree that it depends on the person.

For me, my attacks maybe last a few minutes to an hour+ and I have anxiety type symptoms for days (sometimes weeks) afterwards.

I have rescue meds (Xanax/Klonopin) for when I need to calm myself down quick ... I also have to continue to take them for a few days after an attack for the adrenaline to leave my body
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

• Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
I have three types of panic attacks, a full blown extreme attack, an average anxiety/panic attack, and what I call a 'mini-sode' attack. The big attacks for me can also take a day or two to get calmer again, the average ones usually a few hours, and the mini-sodes can dissipate a half hour or so. I never feel 100% symptom free unfortunately, I usually always has some small degree of anxiety. Sometimes for me with the bigger attacks, it takes me longer to calm because I fear so badly that I'm dying/will die/it will happen again that it sustains my recovery period. I've trying to work on accepting my anxiety more and teaching my brain that anxiety is the cause not a physical problem. That's a monumental task, but you could maybe give that a try.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Summer04

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 07:44:31 PM »
I've had panic attacks when driving - and oh, aren't those fun!  :(  It usually takes a couple of minutes and my body begins to feel almost relaxed, but like a tired type of relaxed.  I would take one road to get to my fiance's house and would always feel panicky when on it.  This road is right near the parkway, it's very curvy and I would panic even before I got onto it.  I began taking another route and it's been much easier.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Bahamas11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:15 PM »
I have three types of panic attacks, a full blown extreme attack, an average anxiety/panic attack, and what I call a 'mini-sode' attack. The big attacks for me can also take a day or two to get calmer again, the average ones usually a few hours, and the mini-sodes can dissipate a half hour or so. I never feel 100% symptom free unfortunately, I usually always has some small degree of anxiety. Sometimes for me with the bigger attacks, it takes me longer to calm because I fear so badly that I'm dying/will die/it will happen again that it sustains my recovery period. I've trying to work on accepting my anxiety more and teaching my brain that anxiety is the cause not a physical problem. That's a monumental task, but you could maybe give that a try.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: